Companies of all shapes and sizes across all industries rely on email marketing to drive purchases and revenue back to the business.
Publishing companies are no different. While the “product” is often a written article or blog post rather than a tangible good, today’s leading publishing companies have the same goal as other businesses – to drive revenue and grow. The likes of Reddit, The New York Review of Books, BuzzFeed, and Vice achieve just that by delivering highly relevant content to their audience, growing their email lists, and driving traffic back to their website with the help of email marketing. In fact, email is the most effective marketing channel, driving 25% of total revenue for most publishers.
That’s why we’re delighted to introduce Campaign Monitor for Publishers. With our simple, drag-and-drop tools, you can empower all of your content contributors – whether there are 1 or 100 – to double as email marketers. That’s because the days of coding each individual email campaign are over. What’s more, publishers are now empowered to:
- Use industry-specific product integrations to grow their email marketing lists. Our powerful and easy-to-use integrations include out-of-the-box and flexible sign up forms for WordPress and Facebook pages, so you can seamlessly collect email addresses for your list right from your website and social sites. Set up the integration one time and each new subscriber will be added to your Campaign Monitor email list seamlessly on an ongoing basis.
- Utilize simple drag-and-drop tools that anyone can use to curate content. Based off feedback from thousands of our publishing customers, we’ve designed dozens of long-form email templates to choose from, so it’s easy for your contributors to drop in their content on a daily basis. All of your writers can then use our drag-and-drop email builder to build professional, branded emails.
- Automatically send emails that drive higher audience engagement. With our email automation features, you can send sophisticated and highly personalized emails to the right person at the right frequency that drives audience engagement. For example, when someone signs up for your email list, you can send them a welcome email in real-time with an offer or specific call to action. Or, you can create a series of emails about a particular theme or topic that drip out over time.
How leaders in the publishing industry are sending results-driven email
Once you’ve chosen an email marketing solution like Campaign Monitor for Publishers that’s easy for your entire team to use, there are a variety of different types of email you can send to drive the right behavior from your audience. Here are a few types of emails publishers like BuzzFeed and Penguin Books are already sending:
1. BuzzFeed delivers relevant content chosen by their subscribers
BuzzFeed has dozens of newsletters that drive engagement and traffic back to their website, which is growing 20% every month. To do this, they ensure they’re sending the type of content their subscribers want to read by setting up a preference center on their website. Here, they can capture their subscribers’ preferences, both in terms of content and the cadence of email delivery. BuzzFeed offers multiple content tracks to choose from, such as their Books line of emails seen below.
2. Apartment Therapy sends a series of educational emails
Apartment Therapy curates design lessons, how-to’s, and expert advice for homeowners. These automated classes have open rates and click-through rates of over 50%, which means more and more subscribers are visiting their website and engaging with their brand.
3. Rolling Stone displays complementary content from their partners
Rolling Stone develops a digital readership with music reviews, movie reviews, and pop culture insights. To generate revenue, they partner with bands and complementary brands to place offers and ads in their emails. As you can see in Rolling Stone’s newsletter, singer Matt Corby advertised tickets for an upcoming concert, a perfect offer for that audience.
4. Reddit automatically sends a welcome email
Reddit is sure to make a great first impression with each new signup. To do this, they’ve set up an automated email that welcomes every new email subscriber to their community. This welcome email has an average open rate of 65%. Here, they set expectations about what kind of content their audience will receive and how often.
5. Announce a new product or service
If you have news to share or a new product to launch, there’s no more effective way to deliver the news. Penguin Random House uses email marketing to announce new book releases and best sellers and directs their subscribers back to their website to purchase.
Publishers that tap into the power of email marketing are reaping the benefits of increased brand awareness, reaching new subscribers, and promoting and selling everything from books and magazines to online subscriptions and ad space. If you haven’t tried Campaign Monitor for Publishers, sign up for free and give it a try.