RSS and numbers of paragraphs/words/caracters

Greetings

I've been playing with the new RSS features lately for a new client, and it's pretty.

I have a few questions and suggestions on that feature though.

First, is it possible to define a number of WORDS instead of paragraphs? Caracters even?
The reason is that in some cases, the first paragraph is the date of the article (events and press releases comes to mind) and grabbing the first paragraph will not tell the subscriber anything useful.
Perhaps the user could define, by post, what he wants to grab from the RSS-Item?

Second is more something in regards to Wordpress not giving any useful image data in its RSS feed. Anyone know a way that wordpress can build a RSS where CM can grab the Featured Image?

Third and lastly, the RSS reader should NOT grab the image from the first (or X number) paragraph... The layout, if an image was include in the post gets all busted.
I think the RSS reader should ignore tags on request, if at all possible.

I know, lots of stuff and possible adjustment, but a tool that is most customizable and yet simple is always great... and hard to come by! :D
Keep up the great work guys.

Regards,

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 1 year ago

Hey NickoLabs, as always, it's a pleasure to hear from you! Thanks for your support, it's great to hear your 2c on RSS to email here.

First, is it possible to define a number of WORDS instead of paragraphs? Caracters even?

Not at present, I'm sorry to say - the issue here is that the number of words/characters will change from article to article, whereas defining that only the first paragraph be displayed is fairly stable. We may consider making it possible to manually edit one-click content in the editor, though, so we'll keep this in mind.

Second is more something in regards to Wordpress not giving any useful image data in its RSS feed. Anyone know a way that wordpress can build a RSS where CM can grab the Featured Image?

Interesting - you may want to take a look at these notes on adding images to your content. If you find your current RSS plugin isn't coming to the party, you may want to take a look at this WP guide to Feedburner.

Third and lastly, the RSS reader should NOT grab the image from the first (or X number) paragraph... The layout, if an image was include in the post gets all busted.

Sorry about this, Nicko - the 1st image shouldn't be ruining your layout. If you'd like us to take a look at why this is the case (and whether it can be fixed), please get in touch with campaign details. As always, we'll do our best to make things right.

Thanks, Nicko! If there's anything else we can do to help out, be sure to get in touch.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
NickoLabs NickoLabs, 1 year ago

Thanks for the timely reply! :D Always nice to work with you guys.

Not at present, I'm sorry to say - the issue here is that the number of words/characters will change from article to article, whereas defining that only the first paragraph be displayed is fairly stable. We may consider making it possible to manually edit one-click content in the editor, though, so we'll keep this in mind.

That could be a good work around to pretty much all the issues I had with RSS imported content, so thanks for checking for that solution!

Interesting - you may want to take a look at these notes on adding images to your content. If you find your current RSS plugin isn't coming to the party, you may want to take a look at this WP guide to Feedburner.

I'll make sure to give those info a look!

Thanks for the support.

Kind regards,

Nickolas Simard
Multimedia integrator: Strategy & Web development
WebsiteTwitterFacebookLinkedIn
roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 1 year ago

Nicko, it's always a pleasure. Keep us on our toes with these good questions of yours - we like them (and you)! :)

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor

Then send campaigns for as little as $9p/m

Create an account