Unsubscribing Issues

Have been using Campaign Monitor within our company for the last few years now, recently with one of the lists we started noticing something strange.

We've had reports from some of our users that they've stopped receiving newsletters without unsubscribing.

When we check in the lists their email address shows they have unsubscribed, one of the editors of the newsletters had also been unsubscribed despite not actioning this.

The only thing I can think of is that users are forwarding the email and the receiver hitting the unsub link, but, our editor has never done this.

Wondering if anyone has an idea surrounding how this could happen.

Thanks

~Callum Silcock
Web Design / Developent @ Niche Media

Stig Stig, 1 year ago

Hi Callum,

The main way this can happen is that the subscriber forwards the email to someone who then unsubscribes them as you said.

But if that doesn't seem to be the case here, it's possible that some anti-virus software or similar may be following all links in the campaign and as a result unsubscribing the recipient. We've got some code in place to prevent this but it does seem like some software may even be triggering the second unsubscribe step.

If you can email us with some details on the lists and email addresses this is happening with, we'll have a closer look at their history to see if we can find some answers.

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
BraceRosso, 1 year ago

I'm experiencing exactly the same thing with my best customer.  They noticed it because they send to addresses within their own domain, and their own people keep getting unsubscribed without any action on their part.  Their experience is that it could be days after a campaign is sent, which makes it feel especially random, and now they're worried about how accurate their whole unsubscribe list is (UGH!).  I'll send in a support email with some details.  If anyone else has information about this, please post it here.

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 1 year ago

Thanks, BraceRosso - it looks like JD has been assisting you with this issue. For the benefit of others, there is a good possibility that virus scanning software may be the issue here.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor

Then send campaigns for as little as $9p/m

Create an account