Backing up data...

I've been tasked with finding a solution for having our own personal backup of all of the data held by CM for our clients.

Do any of you have a system like this in place? If so - would you mind sharing what you have set up / how it works?

I've spoken to one of our developers about them using the API to backup the data but he looked at what CM do to backup their data and told me not to waste his time. Not very helpful (even if I do agree with him)... but I am still expected to come up with a plan.

Without the help of the developer - and no understanding of the API and how it works - i'm a bit concerned that it won't be possible to implement as data changes all of the time and clients can add new fields / etc. whenever they want !

Thoughts, please? I'm really hoping someone has a solution - one that scales.

The only thing I can think of now is logging in and manually exporting everything once a month, but that would A) take ages B) Have huge margins for error C) not be profitable - at all.

Thanks everyone. As always!

Stig Stig, 2 years ago

Hey kas2,

You're right that our API would be the way to go, if you want to schedule automatic backups of your Campaign Monitor data to a different location.

As your developer mentioned, we do have a solid infrastructure in place on our end to ensure your data is backed up here, and also to eliminate the likelihood of ever needing that backup.

We can certainly appreciate the need to keep your own copies of your data though, so if you can elaborate  a bit on what specific data you need to backup, we'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
dansroka, 1 year ago

I'd like to revive this question. I would also like to have the ability to automatically receive a full export of my list of subscribers on a monthly basis. My list is my most important marketing asset, and while I trust you guys, I'd love to have my own copy, just in case. (Heck, I'd even pay to have this feature!)

Right now I do this by logging in each month and exporting my lists manually. But it'd be great to not have to think about it - to just have it happen automatically.

The challenge, I suppose, would be how to automate it in a way that kept the list secure. Could an automatic email, with an encrypted zip file attachment of the SQL data work? Download to a Dropbox account?

survival, 1 year ago

I look forward to the steps as well.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/PT-documentation/EMR/prweb10364543.htm
roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 1 year ago

Hi dansroka and survival, as Stig mentioned, your best bet here would be to investigate using our API to perform automated backups. Certainly backing up to Dropbox is an option, or an alternate hosting provider that you are confident in. However, it's certainly one for us to investigate and while we won't likely be offering a backup option in the near future (we're pretty confident in our providers), it's something we may consider at a later date.

Thanks folks! We'll certainly keep you posted on this one :)

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor

Then send campaigns for as little as $9p/m

Create an account