What can we add or improve in 2013?

Hi everyone! We've had lots of success with an annual 'suggestions thread' for a few years now, so here's one for 2013.

Just to recap, we achieved plenty of things in 2012, including:

- Team collaboration and multiple user support
- New monthly plans, discounted pricing for resellers
- The Enlist iPad app
- RSS-to-email
- Oodles of API updates
- New guides and resources

All of these were items resulted directly from customer suggestions and feedback - you can make a difference! So get fired up and add to this thread what you would like to see in 2013.

djwhisky, 1 year ago

Going to be first here and bump some of my previous ideas/suggestions:

* End-User Manual as PDF
* Sending of AutoResponders to Segments and/or non-dated based fields
* Improved Personalisation and Segmenting including:
** Conditional and Dynamic Content in Editor
** Ability to push through more complex data into custom fields (e.g. order details), so can then segment based on this
** OR segments
** Segmenting based on Autoresponder activity
** Also see https://www.campaignmonitor.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5805
* Web Hook when a Campaign is sent
* Ability to Iframe portions of the interface (and do a remote login)
* Web scraping functionality (so we can dynamically add content to newsletter based on subscribers custom fields)
* Ability to throttle sending

That should keep you all busy for a bit :)

Thanks

James

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 1 year ago

Haha, James - no kidding! :D That said, this is a cracking list and I'm happy to add your vote for all of these items. We're really hoping to fulfil a good few of these in the year ahead, so I'll post an update in this thread as we progress.

Just a few notes on these items:

* Ability to Iframe portions of the interface (and do a remote login)

We can likely help you with this - kindly contact our team with what you have in mind and we'll fill you in on the details ;)

* Web scraping functionality (so we can dynamically add content to newsletter based on subscribers custom fields)

Interesting - could you kindly provide us with details on this one? RSS-to-email is the closest I can imagine, however is there some other content that you think we could grab?

As always, you're right on the pulse - thank you for your support, both last year and hopefully this year, too :D

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
djwhisky, 1 year ago

Hi Ros

Cheers for the pointer on the iframe info - i'll be sure to get in touch with support.

Re. web scraping - can think of lots of functionality on this one - the main functionality wouldn't be used for scraping whole web pages but individual widgets that could either be manually updated by someone or, more likely, come off some other CMS or database e.g.

* One of my clients has over 60 stores around the UK and in their mailing database they'll have a custom field for the customer's local shop. If you had web scraping functionality we could scrape something like www.shop.com/localinfo/[LocalShop]. This could return anything with further info about the shop such as opening hours, events occurring etc.

* Other cases I could think of could, be product recommendations based on what someone has bought before just by passing in a custom field ...

* Or even something as simple bringing through a sales value off a database ?

Thanks

James

venncreative, 1 year ago

Hi

I'm also going to add a couple of things I've mentioned before...

User by User List permissions - The ability to restrict user access to certain lists only.

Client Facing FAQ / help permissions - reducing the need for agencies to provide support.

Custom domains for clients - so the reselling agency name does not appear in the all the links and webhosted emails

Autoresponder reporting - so we can get full and detailed sending stats for autoresponders

And a couple i haven't got links for...

- Ability to send out test autoresponders using sample data - like a normal email
- Conditional list logic (eg send to people who are in list A but not in list B)
- and of course - bring down the core per-email send price!!

I think that's it - keep up the good work!

Hi James, this is great - thank you for the excellent examples here. We can see where this could be very useful and while we recommend doing the best one can do with our API / custom fields at present, there's no doubt we could beef up our ability to pull in web content. As always, we'll keep you posted if it's something we investigate along the line.

venncreative, this is superb - thanks for the recap! We've already got the linked ones in the bag - and I can let it slip that some of these requests are en route...! I'll add fresh votes for the non-linked ones. As always, we'll keep the forum updated as we chip away at your wishlist here.

It's been a busy 2013 so far in Campaign Monitor land and we really can't wait to show you what we're working on. Until then, keep up the great ideas!

JohnP JohnP, 1 year ago

Some of these are re-bumped, some are freshly brainstormed this morning:

Automatic image uploading

Dynamic Content (one of many threads I'm sure)

Subscriber search with filtering and 'make Segment from Results'

Auto Segments based on custom fields (such as state or country) and selecting these from 'Add more recipients' menu

A pop-up to create or edit segments from the 'Add more recipients' menu really would streamline things.

Dynamic segments ie: if last open is more that 3 weeks ago, add them to the 'not active' segment or auto send a 'we will unsubscribe you unless you start reading your emails' email.

Tracking Media Queries using the same technique as open tracking (put a 1x1px image in each media query declaration to see if it 'opens')

Code-edit mode in the Editor (to tinker with the parts the editor doesn't access, particularly setting css defaults). Or an easier option would be at least a CSS config menu in the editor.

Simple batch editing of subscribers (so we don't have to import and export to excel for simple tasks like adding a custom field and assigning a default value)

Ability to add your own css styles to all 'whitelabel' pages. (change color schemes, fonts and button styles etc to match branding)

More documentation on the API, some 'how to' blog posts would be great.

Campaign building similar to this

Image library for your uploaded images. I can then code those URL's into my HTML without reloading the same image over and over.

Sub-template 'blocks'. Living in the templates section (similar system), these 'blocks' can be inserted in the Email Editor. IE: I have a plain header-footer email template that I can insert single column, split column or image 'blocks' (like adding repeaters). A client could then stack content into newsletters (assuming their content/layout needs change from week to week).

That will do for the moment!

Hah JohnP, keeping me fully employed, you folks are! I love it. :)

Re-bumps - Sorted. Happy to keep taking on board your requests here!

> A pop-up to create or edit segments from the 'Add more recipients' menu really would streamline things.

Interesting - segments on the fly! This could make for some interesting discussions here, thank you!

> Tracking Media Queries using the same technique as open tracking (put a 1x1px image in each media query declaration to see if it 'opens')

Curious, but potentially not that accurate - for example, an email client may support media queries, but the conditions that the email is being displayed in (eg. viewport width, display resolution) may exclude it the particular media query stylesheet from being used.

Alternately, a really generic media query could be inserted (eg. @media screen { ... } )... I'll record these thoughts internally and we may consider it if there's sufficient demand. Food for thought.

> Code-edit mode in the Editor (to tinker with the parts the editor doesn't access, particularly setting css defaults). Or an easier option would be at least a CSS config menu in the editor.

This one is tricky, because it kind of defeats the purpose of creating templates, ie. having a highly-reusable design. Also, it opens the possibility of clients tinkering more than is tasteful. That said, we are planning to do more with the editor, so I'll keep you posted on this one :)

> Simple batch editing of subscribers (so we don't have to import and export to excel for simple tasks like adding a custom field and assigning a default value)

This is gold - there's much more we can do with custom fields.

> Ability to add your own css styles to all 'whitelabel' pages.

To a degree, yes - again, like the editor request, there's a fine line between 'freedom' and 'too much freedom' ;) We have an ongoing task here in regards to customizing the app, so I'll be sure to make sure your vote gets counted there.

> More documentation on the API, some 'how to' blog posts would be great.

Tackling any API does come with 'development skills' as a prerequisite, so for most, our 'Getting Started' guide and wrappers are sufficient. Would you like to see us cover specific tasks, like how to create your own subscribe forms, etc? Let us know and we'll certainly look into it.

> Campaign building similar to this

Behavioural email (eg. having triggers, flows) is something we've had requested a few times. It won't be something for the near future, as offering this degree of marketing automation would change the focus of our product radically! But again, food for thought :)

> Image library for your uploaded images
> Sub-template 'blocks'. Living in the templates section (similar system), these 'blocks' can be inserted in the Email Editor.

Clever and yes, one for us to potentially beef up the editor with!

Thanks, JohnP! You're a champion - we really hope to hear many more of your ideas in the year ahead :)

saltencrusted, 1 year ago

Hi There

I have known about Campaign Monitor for a while now without using it (I have been using the Monkey thing instead...) and I now have a client that has a specific need for multi-user management AND list by list permission. Their structure is 3 business partners and the rest are sales consultants around regional australia and they would need an account with the multi-user account enabled so that the 3 partners and myself as the designer would be account admin and then the sales consultants would be managers of their own lists and campaigns without worrying about the billing. They do not want the consultants to have access to each others lists/campaigns, and this is one of their major requirement.

I am interested to know wether you already have a set schedule for releasing such feature (list by list permission) or could this client be set as an agency account and then they would have each sales consultants as "clients"

Thanks
Aymeric

JohnP JohnP, 1 year ago

Thanks for the reply Ros, happy to keep you busy! Couple of responses, I don't want to get too off topic/focus (that's the risk of having a master list!)

API - I might be way off base, and perhaps it is out of the scope of the API (in that case, call these suggestions!) but I think it would be useful to remotely do the following for example:
- upload emails
- schedule and trigger emails
- sync with subscriber lists
- insert content into templates
- upload images or text by email or ftp
- export subscriber and email statistics
- full sync with CMS softwares to avoid repeating content

EDIT: A lot of this stuff is in the API documentation - I missed the additional tabs across the top, thinking the very limited 'Get Started' section was all the documentation offered. My bad... /EDIT

if(exists) {
Blog about it please, or list all the features. I know some php, but don't know how to hook it up to CM for much of that stuff.
}
else {
This would potentially solve a lot of the requests, by allowing plugins to be built. Marketing automation/behavioral email, auto image uploading etc. You could even go one step further and have an extensions/plugins marketplace. I think this would bring more interest to CM - a 3rd party plugin (or the ability to create one) is better than no solution should someone be shopping for features and integrations in ESP's.
}

Whitelabel - It doesn't have to be anything too crazy, maybe just choosing between a couple of button styles and customizing the colors. Maybe this can be set (and policed) from within CM

Media Query tracking - If you set a background image to a specific media query, wouldn't that only be called if that media query was triggered? The tracking would be limited to 'did they view it @ X media query' not 'Is their client supporting X media query'. It would give an idea of whether the % of people using the media query in your list warrants the additional time spent on designing a responsive email.

Hey Aymeric, while we don't have per-list permissions just yet, it's something we've certainly had a few requests for. Happy to note your interest in this internally and let you know if it's something we add in a future release. :)

In the interim, I'd recommend giving each sales consultant a separate client account. As you can block access to lists for individual people and use our privacy mode to prevent personal details from being viewed in reports, this is likely the most practical approach.

Hi there JohnP, these are definitely interesting scenarios, but we'll certainly have to scope demand and give them a lot of thought before documenting them. Building integrations in particular is generally a case-by-case affair (ie. getting our API to work with another one), so I'm not entirely sure how we'd describe how to work from both ends.

I guess what I'm saying is that these sort of tools are built by professional developers, so I'm not sure if it's possible to create instructions that the layman can use. But we'll certainly mull on this :)

Whitelabelling - No problem, vote added :)

Media query tracking - For now, your best bet would be to use your email client reports to determine how many people are using mobile devices that support media queries. I'm a bit of a pedant, so I'd just recommend cutting to the chase and designing with mobile in mind from the start. The number of folks using mobile devices is only going to rise, so you're better off making this part of your design process upfront, rather then re-fitting your templates later.

Thanks, JohnP! As always, very insightful :D

saltencrusted, 1 year ago

Hey Ros, thanks for the quick reply

in the case we go with each of the sales consultants being a client of the bigger account, will this be possible to merge these later down the track once you guys release more features such as per list permissions and therefore we want to regroup all "clients" under one proper client account to simplify account management on the longer term. This would not be a standard feature I guess, but just asking whether your tech team could manually do that on a ad hoc basis?

Thx

This would not be a standard feature I guess, but just asking whether your tech team could manually do that on a ad hoc basis?

It's hard to say ahead of time saltencrusted, however I'll pass on your question as something for us to consider when we look at adding per-list permissions in earnest.

abberdab, 1 year ago

The request that I have top of mind right now is:

* The ability to incrementally batch send to a list or segment over an extended period of time

For example, take a 40,000 person list or segment and send to 8,000 at a time over the course of 5 days, 8,000 per day. All batches would be tracked together in a single email campaign report.

The business case: We have a couple of clients who simply can't handle the number of customer service requests that are the result of sending to a complete list or segment. Being able to batch a given list or segment over a period of time would enable them to moderate the load on their customer service team.

As of now, I'm handling this batching manually like this fellow. But as the segments get more complicated and the custom fields required to track and batch them get more numerous, well hopefully you can see where this is going. :)

Thanks for entertaining my request!

— Abby

Hi Abby, this is a regular request from our customers and I'm more than happy to add your vote or it! We'll certainly consider batch sending in the year ahead and will be sure to let us know if it's something we add in a future update. In the interim, you may want to experiment with using our A/B tests to assist in staggering the send (as Geoff suggests via the link).

Thanks for providing this great example - I hope we can come to the party here :)

djwhisky, 1 year ago

Can we make personalisation a bit cleverer too please? i.e. if a customer field name has "Ms Ros Hodgekiss" in it, can you make it cleverer so that [Firstname] doesn't say "Ms" and instead says "Ros" ? At the moment i've got a client with emails going out saying "Dear Mrs"

Maybe you could just do a search/replace for common titles and remove them from the string before doing the merge?

J

JohnP JohnP, 1 year ago

@djwhisky - To get around that, put the prefix as a custom field with a nbsp after it. Then Send as:

Dear [Prefix,fallback=][fullname,fallback=valued customer],

Use the nbsp because otherwise you'd put that space it in the html and the prefix is blank, you'll end up with a double space between 'Dear' and the name.

But yes it would be handy if it at least flagged this before going out. The bigger issue to me though is separating first and last names. Something like Oscar de la Hoya or Jean Claude Van Damme for example, doesn't fit the 'firstname lastname' format.

Hi djwhisky, JohnP has the workaround in one, thanks for the team effort! :) Absolutely keen to make personalization a lot smarter - for one, my legal name is Rosanne de Vries, which as you can imagine, confuses things at times. I'll add two votes for this - plus a third for myself - and let you know when we give this our full attention. Thank you!

djwhisky, 1 year ago

Hi Ros...
Yeah the workaround could work in some situations, but it wouldn't pickup where some people have just entered their full name, with title in a generic "Enter your name" field... or someone is just feediing a load of data through the API (as i'm experiencing at the mo!)...
Would be good if it could be sorted fairly soon :)
Thanks
James

Thanks James, good point there with the API. We'll be sure to keep you posted on this one, sorry about the wait!

eli, 1 year ago

- Per-campaign suppression lists
- More than 20 custom fields
- Ability to update demographic fields (e.g. by uploading a file) -- but *only* updating existing people, not adding or resubscribing anyone

eli, 1 year ago

The ability to do a 50/50 A/B test. In other words, send exactly half the list version A and the other half version B. No need to declare a winner.

Hi eli, this is a great list of suggestions - thank you! We'll be sure to keep you updated on all of these requests. Got some pretty exciting stuff coming up this year, so hopefully we don't disappoint!

Kris2 Kris2, 1 year ago

I look after a company that provide tours and they have a downloadable brochure on their site. I'd love for this to be managed through CM, via an autoresponder, but it wouldn't really work now because some people need to download the same thing multiple times (like...... me) or even 2 - 3 years down the line, if they need a new version of it, they can't get it.

It would be awesome if:

Every time they requested the download, an autoresponder email could go out - with whatever it is set to contain (so the client can update their brochure without needing us)

They could pass a reference for the email to the client history in CM.

So, if I was in the list, I'd see the following:

USER: Kris 2

Autoresponders Received
2012 Brochure - December 1, 2012
2012 Brochure - December 3, 2012
2012 Brochure - December 3, 2012
2013 Brochure - January 5, 2013

Hopefully you follow the above.

I'm sure this can be achieved through the API but the developers I work with don't really like to do anything they haven't done before (but that's a rant for another time!)

I have been in love with Campaign Monitor since 2012.
eli, 1 year ago

Another one: It would be really nice if the "Design Test" let you see versions without images loading -- this is how many (most?) people will first encounter a message. I notice that Litmus offers this feature already.

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4

Then send campaigns for as little as $9p/m

Create an account