Sender ID confusion

I added the sender ID some time ago, but when receiving email sent by MailBuild, it still shows as sent by

The headers also show
Received: from
Received: from [] by via HTTP

A bit confusing as your guide says to add anyway,
so which should it be??

Dave Dave, 8 years ago

Hey Vince,

Apologies for the confusion, it can certainly get a bit complex at times. basically, the Sender ID record at covers all our sending servers for both MailBuild and Campaign Monitor. So, using include: will keep you covered for both apps.

vince, 8 years ago

Hi Dave, sorry for being a bit thick, but I 'think' my question is still unaswered?
I have the DNS txt record set as and  "v=spf1 mx ~all"

So why does OutLook show "Received from:" :
... and are the headers showing the above??

Sorry, but really would like to understand this one.
Many thanks

Mathew Mathew, 8 years ago

Hey Vince,

It is tricky, but basically, this is how it works:

You send the email, using your authenticated domain.

When the  receiving mail server  lookups the address it is referred back eventually to as the source for all email through

Then it can verify that your 'from' domain has a record which authenticates as a sender of email for it.

Is that any clearer? Basically, it does work with just the in your DNS record for all our sending domains.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
vince, 8 years ago

I think I need to clarify a little.
I added the SPF record to my domain so that veryfies fine.
But the example I gave was for an email sent by a client. Do they also have to add your domain to their DNS settings, or do they add my domain??

Mathew Mathew, 8 years ago

Hi Vince,

You need to add DSN records to whatever 'from' domains you are using in your campaigns.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free