Very nooby design question

Hi, I'm trying to create a simple email template for my sales people to use and I want to make a logo slideshow in Flash.  What I want to know is what would be the ideal size of this if I were to put it in the top right or left hand corner of the template.  Also, I'm working off hi-res print-ready images, so I'd like to know what would be the ideal res size I should scale down to for this.

Thanks!

jlr1001, 8 years ago

Well, to tackle your second question first...

You'll want to start by reducing your images dpis to a screen-appropriate level.  Somewhere between 72 to 95 dpi would be fine, with little-to-no visual difference on screen.

Now, for the the other parts.

The size of this header asset really depends on your design and how much of it you want to devote to this flash content.  To help you out, take a look at the following article that discusses how wide your email newsletter design should be to accommodate the most email clients:

http://www.campaignmonitor.com/blog/archives/2005/04/maximum_width_for_html_emails.html

Finally, you might want to reconsider the Flash element, or at least weigh how important it is in context of your entire message.  I mention this because flash compatibility is rather spotty for many email clients.  Again, here's a relevant MailBuild article on the subject:

http://www.campaignmonitor.com/blog/archives/2006/01/the_truth_about_flash_in_email.html

Just a few things to consider.

Good luck!

-J.L.

Moniquinin, 8 years ago

Thanks!  So maybe flash is not a good idea.  But, perhaps there is another way to do what I want???  In fact, I just received and email that has exactly what I want from a potential supplier from China, and if I were a bit more savvy I could look at the code and figure it out, but I'm not.

What I want is basically do a slide show of all four of our logos as a header in the email template.  What I got from China was a slideshow of various different products in the footer.  Can this be done without flash?

Stig Stig, 8 years ago

Hi Moniquinin!
I second Flash not being a good idea.

Depending on what excactly you're trying to do, an animated gif might be worth concidering.

Are you sure you need an animation, though? Displaying all the logos side by side might be an even better alternative?

Stig

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
Moniquinin, 8 years ago

Not sure I want to display the four logos side-by-side, but an animated gif sounds like a great idea.  Any suggestions on how I do that? And can I easily incorporate an animated giff into an HTML template?

My company uses Goldmine as their CRM database and I am hoping it has a function in which I can easily import the tamplate for the sales guys in it.  I've got Dreamweaver to try to create the template, but I haven't really ever used it, so I'm noob if ever there was one!

Stig Stig, 8 years ago

There's severaly tools to make make animations, but here's a free online tool.

Just make sure all the logos are placed in equal sized images before you upload them.

As for adding it to your HTML template, it's just like adding any image.

I'm not familiar with your CRM, but this is a user forum for Campagin Monitor. You'll probably be able to export your email list from the CRM to use it (just make sure you have permission).

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
laceygriffen, 6 years ago

If you want to create a Flash logos you can just Download Photo Flash Maker from the website which provides it  and install it i did the same when i made a flash logo. Then you can use your own photos and music, and combine them with animated transition effects to create professional Flash ads and Flash banners.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098