Subscriber Lists

We've just started creating a newsletter, however, we've had a sign up page on our site for years. So, we've collected a lot of data. What would be the best approach to adding them on our subscriber list to ensure the least amount of rejected emails? I've heard that an excessive amount of emails bouncing back can cause Campaign Monitor to suspend our account, is this true? Some of these email addresses are years old.

Any help is much appreciated!

Mathew Mathew, 8 years ago

If you have not emailed these people fairly recently (say the last year or so) then I would definitely suggest being very cautious.

Apart from the fact you may have a lot of bounces, which can impact your account, permission does not age very well. If people signed up but have not heard from you for ages, they probably assume they never will and forget they opted in.

So I would suggest culling the oldest addresses first, and not using them, and sending the rest permission reminder campaign, explaining how they signed up and giving them a chance to unsubscribe if they are no longer interested.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
d360, 8 years ago

Hi Mathew,

Thanks for the advice!

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free