Plain text recommended width

Your instructions recommend keeping plain text emails to a maximum width of 65 characters. Your clever input box even has a vertical line to help me keep to this width but it only goes down so far. If you have long copy, the line disappears so I have to guess where the correct line break should occur.

Is this a bug or is it because this is the maximum recommended amount of text or something else?

Dave Dave, 9 years ago

Hmm, the recommended width is a background image for the textarea and it's set as fixed. When you scroll down the content of your email, does the image stay fixed or seem to scroll up with the rest of your content? If it does scroll, let me which browser and OS you're using and we'll get to the bottom of it right away.

Stig Stig, 9 years ago

I'm using IE7 on XP, and it doesn't work as a fixed background here.

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
Dave Dave, 9 years ago

Cheers Stig, we'll run some tests and see if we can get to the bottom of this. I'll post an update here once it's sorted.

pH pH, 9 years ago

Dave, the image doesn't appear to have a fixed property.  In mainStyle.css, you need to add the following:

background-attachment: fixed;

to the class .textOnlyOutline.

So it should read:

.textOnlyOutline { 
font-family: "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", monaco, "Courier New", courier, monospace; 
font-weight: normal; 
color: #000; 
background: url(../images/bg/textEntryGuide.gif) no-repeat; 
border: 1px solid #7F9DB9;
background-attachment: fixed; 
Dave Dave, 9 years ago

What would I do without such damn smart customers. Thanks for your help guys. I ended up taking a slightly different approach just updated the CSS to use repeat-y and upped the height of the image, so you'll get a friendly reminder about the width as you add more content.

CleverDick CleverDick, 9 years ago

Thanks Dave. It's fine now.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free