HTML emails in Entourage add line breaks after accented character

I'm having a problem with my HTML emails in Entourage. The bug only appears to be with accented characters near the end of a line.

Instead of breaking the line before the word that won't fit in it's entirety, Entourage breaks the line between the first accented character and the next non-accented character.

So, the word "búsqueda" reads like "bú
queda".

Does anyone have any experience in sending HTML emails in other languages?

The bug was brought to my attention via a Spanish language edition of my newsletter, but having tested, it could happen with any accented characters.

I initially thought it was a font issue with Lucida Grande, but also happens with Tahoma and Verdana, two other typefaces in the font stack. It doesn't appear to be associated with the placement of the <style> tag (within header or body) or the declared Doc Type. I've also tried using html entities for any accented character.

I am using non-nested tables and inline styles. The character set is UTF-8.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Stacey

travisbell travisbell, 9 years ago

Hi Stacey,

Which version of Entourage are you having troubles with?

I just gave this a go with Entourage 2008 and everything seemed to render properly on my test. If you were testing Entourage 2008, mind posting a sample that you're having the problem with?

--
Travis Bell
ebinion, 8 years ago

I think they were using Entourage 2004. I have the same problem. What it seems to be is that special characters aren't considered a part of the whole word and are allowed to break independently. For example consider the code:

&uuml;berabridged update.

The "berabridged" in "überabridged" is allowed to break down a line. It also happens with "&rsquo;" other special symbols.

NickoLabs NickoLabs, 7 years ago

Hiya

I haven't seen any clear reply from the staff on that matter, and I've been able to see this bug for myself as well.

From what I can see, the line-breaks occurs only when the "word+html entities of foreign char" would cause a "natural" line break. The software then breaks if to the ";". I'm thinking it's more of a problem with the software itself (entourage 2004), but still...

Here's a screenshot.
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7142/image2jj.gif

Are there any ways of not having those line-breaks after some (and not all) accented character? Or should I simply add "<br />" in my code after testing with Entourage 2004 (problem is, after each brs. I'll need to retest since layout is changin)?

Nickolas Simard
Multimedia integrator: Strategy & Web development
WebsiteTwitterFacebookLinkedIn

See why 200,000 companies worldwide love Campaign Monitor.

From Australia to Zimbabwe, and everywhere in between, companies count on Campaign Monitor for email campaigns that boost the bottom line.

Get started for free