HTML emails in Entourage add line breaks after accented character

I'm having a problem with my HTML emails in Entourage. The bug only appears to be with accented characters near the end of a line.

Instead of breaking the line before the word that won't fit in it's entirety, Entourage breaks the line between the first accented character and the next non-accented character.

So, the word "búsqueda" reads like "bú
queda".

Does anyone have any experience in sending HTML emails in other languages?

The bug was brought to my attention via a Spanish language edition of my newsletter, but having tested, it could happen with any accented characters.

I initially thought it was a font issue with Lucida Grande, but also happens with Tahoma and Verdana, two other typefaces in the font stack. It doesn't appear to be associated with the placement of the <style> tag (within header or body) or the declared Doc Type. I've also tried using html entities for any accented character.

I am using non-nested tables and inline styles. The character set is UTF-8.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Stacey

travisbell travisbell, 8 years ago

Hi Stacey,

Which version of Entourage are you having troubles with?

I just gave this a go with Entourage 2008 and everything seemed to render properly on my test. If you were testing Entourage 2008, mind posting a sample that you're having the problem with?

--
Travis Bell
ebinion, 7 years ago

I think they were using Entourage 2004. I have the same problem. What it seems to be is that special characters aren't considered a part of the whole word and are allowed to break independently. For example consider the code:

&uuml;berabridged update.

The "berabridged" in "überabridged" is allowed to break down a line. It also happens with "&rsquo;" other special symbols.

NickoLabs NickoLabs, 6 years ago

Hiya

I haven't seen any clear reply from the staff on that matter, and I've been able to see this bug for myself as well.

From what I can see, the line-breaks occurs only when the "word+html entities of foreign char" would cause a "natural" line break. The software then breaks if to the ";". I'm thinking it's more of a problem with the software itself (entourage 2004), but still...

Here's a screenshot.
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7142/image2jj.gif

Are there any ways of not having those line-breaks after some (and not all) accented character? Or should I simply add "<br />" in my code after testing with Entourage 2004 (problem is, after each brs. I'll need to retest since layout is changin)?

Nickolas Simard
Multimedia integrator: Strategy & Web development
WebsiteTwitterFacebookLinkedIn

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098