Spaces in links can cause troubles

Just wanted to let everybody know, that I came across a strange effect, that when your HTML has a space right after the opening <A> tag.

Here's my code:

<a href=""></a>

Although this space was a mistake, it is still valid HTML (by the way: it's usually not recommended to have a URI as a link text, because it can be considered as a phishing mail - but that's another issue).

So after sending the mail, it looked something like this:

<a href=""></a>

Still perfect HTML. But when I click on that link (Outlook 2007 / Internet Explorer 7), the link in the address field of the browser looks like this:

Which of course is rubbish. I actually don't think, that this is a Campaign Monitor issue. But I tried to click this link also on my Mac (Apple Mail / Safari) and it shows the same effect.

I know, that I will have to be more carefull in the future and hope to help others with this information, but I'm also curious, WHY this happens...

Mathew Mathew, 7 years ago

That's an odd effect - I can't see why it should happen, as you mention the HTML itself is perfectly valid. Actually, I just ran a test myself, and in Apple Mail as well as Gmail, I could not replicate the problem.

Maybe something else was going on in your HTML?

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free