outlook only is cutting off right side of my table border

everything was working fine, I made some changes to the code but now outlook is cutting off right side, the left displays fine.

I'm supposed to send this out tomorrow and yahoo displays fine as well as preview, but how do I know if this is just an outlook problem.  And if it is how do I fix it?  This is the code I'm using

<td width="639"><table width="649" border="0"  style="border-left:1px solid #e7e7e7; border-right:1px solid #e7e7e7">

Any suggestions? thanks so much!

-e-train, 9 years ago

seems to me that your enclosing td cell is narrower than the table you are putting in it. that could be the issue. maybe outlook is truncating the width and cutting off your right border. sort of like overflow:hidden.

Dave Dave, 9 years ago

Yeah, that makes the mosts ense to me too, especially if you're using Outlook 2007 which has kooky table support at the best of times.

jhaubein, 9 years ago

Thanks for the advice.  I changed the td cell width but I'm still not seeing that border on the right.  Here's the code now any more suggestions.  As far as I can tell the rest of the emails appear fine, but I use outlook and I hate to see it not look right.

<table width="649"   cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"  >
<tr>
<td width="650"><table width="648" style="border-left:1px solid #e7e7e7; border-right:1px solid #e7e7e7">

-e-train, 9 years ago
jhaubein :

<table width="649"   cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"  >
<tr>
<td width="650"><table width="648" style="border-left:1px solid #e7e7e7; border-right:1px solid #e7e7e7">

ok, i think that i understand the issue here, though i haven't tested it. but based on my css knowledge this is my guess/educated answer?.

first, your enclosed table is still larger than the table that encloses it. 649<650. plus the box model of css for borders on width of an object does the following.
the table that you have at 650 with a border on each side is actually 652 pixels wide.
650 (table width) +1 (pixel border) +1 (pixel border)= 652px

this is enclosed by a table that is only 649 pixels wide.

i would make your look like this and test:
<table width="650" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"  >
<tr>

or to be really safe:
<table width="650" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"  >
<tr>
<td width="648"><table width="644" style="border-left:1px solid #e7e7e7; border-right:1px solid #e7e7e7">

that should give 2 pixels of room on each nested table.

if you do test, please let me know. this is all theory, (as i don't have time to test) but it is basically the way that css works.

please let me know how it works. post the results if you can.

cheers,
-e-train

Mathew Mathew, 9 years ago

Great reply -e-train,

I think you are on the right track, pardon the pun.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
nealibob, 7 years ago

A little late, perhaps, but I do not see a good answer to this anywhere else yet.

Try adding a td with zero padding on the right. That worked for me in a one-row table, which was inside a div with a border. This might break your layout, though, depending on exactly what you are trying to do.

example:
<tr><td>Content</td><td>more content</td><td style='padding: 0;'>&nbsp;</td></tr>

boien, 7 years ago

so i came across the same bug that you're experiencing. I tried all sorts of of different things, but the method that i fount out that proved to be the most stable, was setting the borders on the td cell instead of the actual table tag that houses the <td>. The padding didn't seem to be what was the culprit because i have several inline elements with inline padding styling and it didnt have any affect on the 1px border on the design, dissapearing or otherwise. Although it does seem that the MS Word engine does have issues with css padding.

for whatever reason outlook2007 has a problem with the table element being styled, but no problem styling a td.

This applies to outlook 2007

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098