DOCTYPE Declaration - advice/opinions

Which version of XHTML /HTML do you use or recommend?

I had the intention of XHTML strict, but am not sure if this is the most suitable.  Before I change/tweak my code I need to try to determine the best to use (I noticed differences in the text appearance etc when changing between.)

Any advice is appreciated.

(newbie)

derek73, 8 years ago

I think you should always omit the doctype from email templates. It's fairly unlikely that it will make it to your recipients intact anyway. Email will never be xml, so there's no possibility of validating it. Also most webmail clients will remove it (along with everything else not between the body tags), since they need to send their own doctype and head section to render their interface. Basically you can't depend on the doctype you specify being there, so probably best not to specify one.

anonymouse, 8 years ago

Also most webmail clients will remove it (along with everything else not between the body tags), since they need to send their own doctype and head section to render their interface..

I had wondered about that!  I had seen that some of the examples did not state one.  However what if the user chooses to view in the browser instead?

I ended up putting in XHTML 1.0 Transitional,  ran it through the tests here and it seemed to check out fine.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098