Google Analytics feature request

I was part of the crowd nagging VerticalResponse about this (now there finally) and now I'm going to start on you guys!

I need you to be able to auto tag links in my emails with a given query string - go the whole hog if you like a generate the Google Analytics URL for me. Without this I can't track what newsletter users do when they visit the site. I have spoken to support about this but I'm posting here as I'm interested in what other users think.

Joel Hughes

www.jojet.com

Mathew Mathew, 9 years ago

Hi Joel,

It's a good idea and something we have had a couple of requests for. We'd definitely be interested to hear from other people who would like to use the same thing.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
newmedia, 9 years ago

Hi Mathew,
I was sent to your site by a friend, and it looks like an excellent service however I too need to apply tracking code. Sorry I am not familiar with the set up as yet but can I not append the tracking code to the URL's within the emailers ?

Thanks John.

Dave Dave, 9 years ago

You sure can John, you easily add the Google Analytics code to the end of any of your URL's and we'll preserve them when you import your campaign. The original request (which we're definitely considering) would allow you to automatically add these tags. You can do this yourself manually at any time.

newmedia, 9 years ago

Thanks for this feedback Dave In that case I will definitely give it a go.

Stig Stig, 9 years ago

On-topic: I support an integration that doesn't require the GA variables in the URL (but without a Google Analytics API, I guess that would require Google Analytics to collaborate on making it work?)

Off-topic: How about a Feature Request forum?

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
Mathew Mathew, 9 years ago

You're right Stig - doing it without additional variables would be a lot more complex. You are welcome to start a feature request thread - if it becomes active enough we would certainly consider splitting it into another forum.

Right now we are tending towards keeping things simple and minimal.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
tristanm, 8 years ago

Sorry I know this is probably a question for Google... but could you give me a quick example of how to add google analytics to a link in an email??

thanks

TM

Stormy Stormy, 8 years ago

What a way to revive a dead thread :)

Google Analytic's URL Builder is probably the easiest way for now to add the required links. You can read more detail on how it works here.

No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
vince, 8 years ago

Google Analytics™ Integration to do all this for you has been added by a competitor.
I won't mention their name here in this forum, but if CM developers want to they can contact me directly for name and URL.
Basic features:
* Measure the ROI of your email campaigns by linking them to Google Analytics

* It's Free. Just activate the add-on if you use Google Analytics on your website
One-click. Just check one box, and we do the rest (no need to manually tag every single link in your email campaign).

Ben Ben, 8 years ago

Thanks for the offer Vince, but we've actually already spec'd out this feature, and it's basically sitting in the feature request queue ready to go.

The order of this queue is almost entirely based on customer requests, so the feedback from you guys has certainly helped push this further up that list (and if you would like this feature but haven't commented yet, please speak up).

vince, 8 years ago

Great stuff Ben.
Where are the voting buttons for this ;-)
Things like this helping me decide to go-ahead and choose your system for my clients.

Dylan, 8 years ago

I too like this to see this feature back in Campaign Monitor!

Another example
http://www.listrak.com/university/Google-Analytics/

They provide a combination between Google Analytics and ESP. You can also see what a user (by e-mail) does on your website. So you also know which e-mail buys something. Marketeers like this feature ;)

Stig Stig, 8 years ago

Hi Dylan, welcome to the forums!
That looks like a nice impementation.

This can be done manually, though, or using Google's URL Builder.

The way Listrak does this, this would be the CM equivalent:
Campaign Source: CampaignMonitor
Campaign Medium: Email
Campaign Term: Link Title
Campaign Content: [email]
Campaign Name: Subject Line

Stig

Dylan, 8 years ago

@Stig
Didn't know you can add {tags}. I'm testing it right know and hoping for a result in Google Analytics tommorow. Thanks for the eye opener.

Can you use custom made tags too??

Stig Stig, 8 years ago

Sure can, Dylan - here's a nice guide :)

Stig

Dylan, 8 years ago

I tested and its works, but....

The emails are placed in Traffic sources > Ad versions. Now I want to know some things:
- Links where clicked by email? (You can see in Campaign Monitor, but i want to see it in Google Analytics too)
- Pages where visted on the website by email? and time per page?
- Exit page by email?

Is this possible?

Dylan

vince, 8 years ago
Ben :

Thanks for the offer Vince, but we've actually already spec'd out this feature, and it's basically sitting in the feature request queue ready to go.

The order of this queue is almost entirely based on customer requests, so the feedback from you guys has certainly helped push this further up that list (and if you would like this feature but haven't commented yet, please speak up).

Ben,
Any update or ETA please?
Too many competitors now offering this, and our target market (SME) are prime for it as they cannot afford paying for webstats like Webtrends etc.

I know the tracking can be added manually, but that is not realling in-line with the strategy for MailBuild users - keeping it simple. ;-)

best wishes,

- Vince

Ben Ben, 8 years ago

Sorry Vince, but we don't give out ETA's on new features. If you subscribe to the blog RSS feed you'll be the first to know when this has been rolled out.

vince, 8 years ago

I'm sad :-(
Thought that line was only used in the Open Source development circles.

sam sutton, 8 years ago

+1 for analytics tracking.

It's a key feature for us. Our current solution provides it, but not in a particularly robust or friendly manner. I would definitely want to put your solution forward as a replacement if you could provide that.

Dave Dave, 8 years ago

Sam and Vince, I think you'll like what we've got in store. Rest assured this is coming to Campaign Monitor and we think it will be worth the wait.

Tim Benjamin, 8 years ago

Hi guys,

I know you don't provide specific ETAs for new functionality releases - but can you say in general terms whether this will be implemented within the next three months?

Cheers,

Tim

Dave Dave, 8 years ago

Hey Tim, I'll go out on a limb and say yes, this feature will be available in your account within the next 3 months.

Dave Dave, 8 years ago

Thanks again for all the feedback and requests for this feature. I'm happy to announce that we just launched Google Analytics integration in Campaign Monitor.

1. 1
  2. 2

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098