Creating a country dropdown within custom fields

Is there a quick way to do this that doesn't involved the API?
I have 235 countries that have to be added as options.

Stig Stig, 7 years ago

how about using a text field for country, and changing it to a dropdown in your form HTML?

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
bonnyjoy, 6 years ago

I would like to request this option also - the downside of using text field entries for "State" or "Country" etc. is the fact that people cannot speel (sic) and they change the method in which they input the word eg. ENGLAND, England or england or englnad (sic). This is a nightmare when checking against other data, duplicate checking etc.

As I am sure you would agree, pre-populated dropdown lists allow for some standardization that is most helpful.

I would like to add that an option for "required fields" would be helpful also :)

Thanks a bunch you guys.

BraceRosso, 6 years ago

MC, Bonnyjoy, what Stig meant was instead of creating dropdown field directly in CM, just save the HTML code to create that field locally, and modify the form code that CM creates for you.  Aside from having to go through the modification process each time, the biggest drawback of that approach is that when you create custom segments for those lists, the options aren't listed there for you to select from.  You'll have to get the spelling right when you create them... but YOU know how to spell, right? (J/K!)  It's still better than creating 50 or 235 options for a single field for every client.  I just went through the process of adding 50 states, and it was a little bit of a pain... about 80% less of a pain than what you'd have to deal with to add 235 countries!

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 6 years ago

Hi folks, I've got some good news - we've just introduced pre-filled country and US state custom fields, so you don't have to create endless drop-down lists for your forms.

This should make it much easier for you to collect location information from your subscribers - you can also use these fields in your preference center, too! Read on for more details.

Thanks for your patience, everyone. Let us know if you have any suggestions for future improvements, or just want to let us know how you find these new custom field options :)

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
lucylyn, 6 years ago

Hi All
This is great and will be very helpful.  I just have a question  - is it possible to have your own country initially selected?

Mathew Mathew, 6 years ago

By 'your own country' do you mean the country of the website that the form is on? If so, you'd just make that country selected by default.

Just put a 'selected' parameter in the option of choice

<option value="Milk" selected>Milk</option>
<option value="Eggs">Eggs</option>
<option value="Biscuits">Biscuits</option>

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free