Lotus Notes Sucks

I tried sending one of the templates to a lotus email address and it strips the padding and/or margin out of the email. So, everything is smashed against one another.   When you say the templates are tested in Lotus, does that mean during your tests the padding worked?  I'm not having much luck with it.  I tried sending it with inline styles, which still did not work.

Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks!

travisbell travisbell, 7 years ago

Hi there,

The best we can hope for (and what we designed for) was for the email to simply be readable in Lotus. Lotus 6 & 7 are so bad at rendering HTML that it is quite literally impossible to make them look good. Lotus Notes 8 got a little better but they are all still sitting at the bottom of the support pile.

Make sure to check out our CSS guide:

http://www.campaignmonitor.com/css/

In regards to anything you can try? Well, not really. We're at the mercy of what Lotus supports and doesn't ;-)

--
Travis Bell
Jayneylou, 7 years ago

I've occasionally been forced to use table cells as pseudo padding - which can get around some of the problems lotus has (but nowhere near all).  Instead of

| <padding><content><padding> | <padding><content><padding> |

I use

| <spacer of some sort> | <content> |<spacer of some sort> | <content> | <spacer of some sort> |

so instead of 2 table cells for 2 columns of visible content I end up with 5 table cells for 2 columns

travisbell travisbell, 7 years ago

Hi Jayne,

Yup, that is definitely a possibility. We couldn't employ that method with great success in our templates since we had issues some other clients not spacing properly BUT it would certainly work.

--
Travis Bell
coas50, 7 years ago

Thanks guys.

zapatoche, 7 years ago

I have used this

| <spacer of some sort> | <content> |<spacer of some sort> | <content> | <spacer of some sort> |

as mentionned by Jayneylou and have had a good compatibility so far.
The only issue I really have is with line height

OramPlus, 6 years ago

Hey there!

Yes, Lotus Notes sucks. I have been using this hunk of garbage for the last 15 years. Finally my company has migrated away from it, but I have lost 15 years of sanity in the process. Everything you can do in Notes is difficult by design. Outlook on the other hand is made with the end-user in mind, so everything is simple and all options are located where you would expect them to be.

I'm happily never going back to notes!

All the best,
Oram Plus

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098