do manually-deleted emails go on suppression lists?

We send out a lot of RSVP emails to our clients' lists. When we have to send follow-up emails, we usually remove people who've already RSVPed so they don't think anything went wrong with their first registration.

I've been using the "remove emails from list" feature to remove the people who've responded, but I suspect that this adds them to the client suppression list: when i tried to create a new list of everyone who had RSVPed, I got an error that most of them were suppressed.

So I guess my questions are:
* Are manually-deleted emails added to the suppression lists?
* Is this the intended behavior? I realize that you'll want to suppress emails of people who've emailed in their opt-outs, but does that outweigh the false positives?
* Any chance of developing a feature that reduces the false positives, such as creating a "manually unsubscribe email addresses" in the add/remove emails wizard?

Thanks for your help!

---

Edit: Testing confirms that manually removing an email address adds it to the suppression list, if that list is set to feed into it. So that answers that.

Mathew Mathew, 8 years ago

Hi,

If you use the 'checkbox and move someone to 'Manually deleted subscribers', they will not be added to the suppression list. If you unsubscribe them though, they will be.

Instead of removing people who RSVP, it would be better to use segmenting and custom fields to split your list.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
steven_noble, 8 years ago

I can't find a way to go through the list and mark certain recipients as having RSVPd to create a segment that won't receive the "last chance to register" email.

It would be fab if Campaign Monitor included a simple RSVP function, much like your subscribe/unsubscribe function, which took care of this. Cheers!

Stormy Stormy, 8 years ago

Hi Steven,

As Mathew touched upon, you could create a custom field on your lists (eg: RSVPed) and use this to contain whether a customer has responded. This field could then be used for segmentation as required.

There are further benefits to this, eg: having a different custom field for each campaign that's sent out. You could then potentially have a new segment to check for people who have replied multiple times, and target them for an additional promotion.

No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

True, but I can't see where in Campaign Monitor you go from address to address in your subscriber list, clicking "RSVPd" in the custom field for those who RSVPd...

And even if you can do this manually, it would be *magical* if a Campaign Monitor supplied RSVP tool did this automatically :-)

Hi Simon,

Unfortunately, to my knowledge it's completely impossible to track whether someone has replied to an email unless you are one of the recipients of the email itself. CM track opens & bounces as the emails are sent by them, but when your customer replies it is going straight to you and not via CM.

I can imagine it's theoretically possible for mails to route to CM, register a reply, and route back to the client, but this is straying into functioning as an email relay which carries some big potential spam labels.

Regarding where to tag them... head to Manage Subscriber List, add your custome fields in the Custom Fields option from within the grey 'List Details' box. At the bottom of the Manage Subscriber List page you should see a nice list of your subscribers - click onto one to open it up, and within the Other Information section you should see your custom field primed and ready for you to enter whatever you want into it.

Thanks for the directions to the Custom Fields. I'll be sure to use that for the next blast!

Regarding the first two paragraphs of your response, i'm simply imagining an RSVP link/page, much like the unsubscribe link/page that Campaign Monitor already provides. No one would respond to the email so no email routing would be involved. Instead, they'd just click the RSVP link and Campaign Monitor would automatically update the "RSVDd already?" custom field in the Subscriber list.

I imagine this would be incredibly useful for anyone using Campaign Monitor to send invitations to events.

Dave Dave, 8 years ago

Steven, you'll be pleased to know you can already do this very easily with Campaign Monitor. When someone clicks the RSVP link, we'll track that for you (you can see it in the Link Activity Report).

Then, you can easily create a link that only includes people that clicked that specific link (no custom fields required), and then send a targeted email just to those that did or did not RSVP.

Very good point Dave - you could get this link setup to go to a nice 'Thank You' confirmation page on your own site, so it looks clean from the user's point of view as well.

htdub, 8 years ago
Dave :

Steven, you'll be pleased to know you can already do this very easily with Campaign Monitor. When someone clicks the RSVP link, we'll track that for you (you can see it in the Link Activity Report).

Then, you can easily create a link that only includes people that clicked that specific link (no custom fields required), and then send a targeted email just to those that did or did not RSVP.

The link activity report exports only

"Name","Email","Total Clicks"

How about data from the custom fields?

THanks

Mathew Mathew, 8 years ago

If you do an 'export subscribers' you can export the entire list, and select which custom field values to include - they don't come out with the link activity reports at the moment.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor

Join 150,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098