Client-based confirmation URL?

Some of our clients have around 30% of their registrations through their subscribe form ending up not being confirmed, and we suspect it's due to the fact that the URL in the confirmation e-mail is not one that has anything to do with the clients' URL.

E.g. the URL is instead of

This obviously causes some users to suspect phishing attempts, etc. Why hasn't the Campaign Monitor team set up a way to add something to the DNS for the client's domain name so that these confirmation URLs can be on their domain name instead of ours?

Due to this problem, we might be forced to stop doing the double opt-in registration, which of course is not really optimal due to the potential for getting lots of e-mail addresses spammed into the system, etc.

The only other alternative is setting up an entire new CM account for each and every client, which naturally defeats the entire purpose of having the ability to have clients on an account...

Another alternative is to not force the confirmation email to include $$link$$, but make available the subscriber's ID (the end part of the confirmation URL) so that a handler can be set up on the client's site to redirect to the confirmation URL. That would probably be the easiest solution for CM to implement quickly.

What say ye?

Mathew Mathew, 7 years ago

Actually, 30% unconfirmed is pretty decent - right across the email marketing industry, confirmed opt-in lists see pretty high rates of people not clicking that confirmation link, many saying up to 50% unconfirmed is normal.

So the URL attached is probably not having any impact on that at all, given that even for lists where the client name is the same as the account name, the confirmation rate is not significantly improved.

That's not to say we won't look at ways of putting the client name there, just that it is very unlikely to help the actual problem in this case.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
Keva, 7 years ago

I'd like to encourage the development of client-based confirmation URL!

My first impression of a test confirmation email was not positive - it looked like it was coming from some other source, not from the client's newsletter. I would be less likely to confirm that subscription, and even if I did, I'd have some lingering doubts about the newsletter author's setup.

A customized confirmation link would help provide a more professional, cohesive image.

This company is great. I am impressed with the features offered, the communication and the forward-thinking-ness!

quena, 7 years ago

Every CM account can have a custom URL, including a subdomain of a client's domain (e.g., So, if you have a single client, you can customize the URL for the account; log in to CM, click the 'Customize' link (top left), and add/edit the Custom Domain Name.

Things to keep in mind:
* Changing this will break old email links shortly after you make the switch.
* You can only have one custom domain for each account, at least for now.
* You probably want to keep the subdomain short and general, since it will be used for all of your trackable links in future campaigns; Only the unsubscribe link doesn't use it, I believe.

Keva, 7 years ago

thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I have more than one client. Using a subdomain at my URL would be a good answer, but ultimately, I think a confirnation link with the same base URL as the newsletter would look the most professional.

MichelG, 7 years ago

Just adding my voice to support a client-based confirmation URL.

It is only a normal expectation for someone who just registered on a web site to have, somehow, that web site reference back into a confirmation link.

In addition, in the case of one of my client, some registrations are submitted on paper forms. The staff will then use the online form to add these addresses so that the double opt-in process can be used. Now imagine these people receiving a confirmation email with a link that has nothing to do with the organization they paper-registered to. Some will/are not  confirming!

Jop Jop, 7 years ago

I'm also looking forward to the possibility of using client-based confirmation URL's! It makes no sense for a user who enlists to a mailinglist of a certain company to be presented with a subscribe link which contains the name of another (unknown) company.

I really hope you find a way to change this URL to the name of the client or come up with a method to cloak it. 'Click here to confirm you subscription' would do it for me (people just wouldn't see the complete URL).

Verstuur zelf uw e-mail nieuwsbrieven
holder10, 7 years ago

benz, 7 years ago

This would be great, as a 'quick' work around would an html confirmation email be an option? At least we could then brand the email heavily and put the confirm link behind some text.

Longer term why not a proxy php script and/or some .htaccess rules?
For this to work all we'd need at the CM end is to be able to have a link in the confirm email that just supplies the querystring component, so instead of using $$link$$ you could instead use $$query$$, with that addition I can then set the url link to be$$query$$ (although in practice I'd use htaccess to drop the php extension)

When they hit our page we then do an Ajax confirm from the proxy script so the subscriber lands on our page, they see a confirming spinner then a thank you message.

At the CM end I'm guessing you'd only need to expose the $$query$$ tag in the subscribe mail dialog for us to be able to do the rest.

mlangham, 7 years ago

Something more fluid would definitely be of benefit.

Some of my client's signee's have the confirmation email requests ending up in their, or Google's spam directory.

enfueggo enfueggo, 7 years ago

Any news on this issue?

Having a subscriber on a client's site see *my* company name...  well, it makes my client look unprofessional.

Like others have mentioned, I really love your product but this is quite an obstacle when you pitch CM as the solution for designers and their clients.

manukamedia, 7 years ago

Me too - any news on this issue?

The ability to customise to this extent is eminently desirable. Can I put it any more strongly than that? :O)

petebarr, 7 years ago

Please please integrate some solution for this. I agree it does look very unprofessional.

A great product otherwise, exactly what I was looking for in general.

janfoeh, 6 years ago
benz :

At the CM end I'm guessing you'd only need to expose the $$query$$ tag in the subscribe mail dialog for us to be able to do the rest.

I'd like to second this. Allowing us to use the URL parameter on its own would make for a good quickfix. As it stands, I just wasted an hour setting up my client in my own account, and now have to do it again in a separate CM account because of this relatively small catch.

Mathew Mathew, 6 years ago

Thanks for the additional votes, we'll add them to our list and keep it in mind.

We're also on Facebook:
PDD2010, 6 years ago

Yes - I have to add my voice to this feature request.  I am starting to get difficult client questions "why is the sign-up URL your domain and not ours?"

Obviously there is a good technical reason why you guys can't do it easily, however, other aspects of the user experience seems fine with the client URL - preferences, webversion etc....

Could you please explain a little more about why this can't be done and also if it is likely to be on your agenda in the near future?

dannyfoo dannyfoo, 6 years ago

My client just asked for this minutes ago. And unfortunately, I've to inform him our solution doesn't support this feature this moment.

If custom URLs weren't allowed, maybe an alternative to set the link text. For example; Click here to complete the signup process.

That was suggested by my client, but we can't do that too. By the way, they're a listed Singapore company. Hence, the need for a consistent URL. :)

Eskymo, 6 years ago

I'm setting up an account for my first client and have gone through designing all the forms and pages and just testing and one of the first things I notice is the confimation link - it's not good the is says:

Looks like there isn't a solution or way round this at the moment. So I think I'm going to have to enter some explanatory text which explains why the link is related to my company name and not my clients - this is not great, but would help any confusion.

Can you make it a priority to sort this out!

ketanmv, 6 years ago

Please add my vote for this too... the form action URL is, rather than something more generic / related to my _client's_ company. As others have said, this looks really unprofessional. You can get around seeing this URL in the status bar by using the API, but I don't do this for every client... thoughts??

Thank you.

ketanmv, 6 years ago

P.S. I feel like back in the day the form action posting URLs were something like "" This was good because it was fairly generic and actually had the client name in it.

Now, however, all the URLs - no matter the client -- use my overall account URL ( Which is bad. Why was this change done / is there a way to get the old method back??

Mathew Mathew, 6 years ago

Just regarding the confirmation link, this has actually already been changed. Your client's name is used instead of the designers now.

We'll add your votes for changing the default for form actions to use the client name too.

We're also on Facebook:
uncouthmike, 5 years ago

I add my vote to be able to have emails go out with instead of my domain in the links. I think it would make a measurable difference to click throughs, as a reasonably cautious web user I won't generally click on domains that don't match the sending domain of the email. Ever...

Nicolas Cuny, 5 years ago

I am adding my vote to this request. For now I have used single opt-in lists because of this issue but I am now considering creating a new account for every client. Not very convenient either way.

Please make it happen.

michele, 5 years ago

+1 ... I add my vote

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free