Feature Request Thread

All right - I'll keep my feature requests in a single thread from now on, others feel free to use it :)

Automatic Inline Styles
Hoping you will integrate an automatic inline style generator like premailer.

(It seems as though the "Preview" button doesn't preview, but simply posts?)

Stig Stig, 8 years ago

Date Format for Custom Fields
This would make segmenting a lot more powerful for many people. The current options (text, number, check box list and radio button list) are great, but adding this doesn't seem all too complicated.

Let your customers send birthday greetings, horoscopes, special upp-sell offers before travels or events, etc.

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
Stormy Stormy, 8 years ago

Alternative bulk pricing methods for clients.

eg: Say I want to offer clients flat yearly prices; $3k for up to 100,000 emails, $5k for 250,000, etc... Could CM/MB charge the rates we set to the client, take off the cost of the emails specified, and pass on the remainder of the payment. If the customer tries to send an email that exceeds their limit, the system could then offer to allow them to upgrade to the next tier of payments, only charging them the difference.

To use the $3k/100k & $5k/250k example, a customer could pay $3k for their yearly account - $1000 goes to CM/MB ($900 for the 100k email credits plus $100 to replace the $5 per email charge), the remaining $2k goes to us. If the customer exceeds this, they have the option of paying only an additional $2k to upgrade to 250k emails (of which $1050 goes to CM - I'm suggesting this continues up the bulk discounts scale but feel free to disagree), and the remaining $950 is passed on.

It sounds ok in my head at least :) comments?

No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
xtom, 8 years ago

Billing
Something I would like in MB is the ability to allocate prepaid credits to different clients, to prevent one client overspending and eating into another clients credits. Not sure but this might be a simpler variation of what you're saying Stormy.

Templates
I'd like to be able to create a template with a banner that could be changed for each campaign but also specify a default image, so when I select the template to use it has the default image and not a grey box.
Multiple repeat regions would be great too. For example one for main content news items and another to add items down a 2 column layout.

nicknack, 8 years ago

An RSS feed on MailBuild so you can see you've got a new subscriber, or prefereably get an email when you get a new subscriber.
Also the ability to add your custom fields to the Manage Subscribers page.

weejames, 8 years ago

API
Ability to create a new list through the API.

Ability to schedule an email through the API.

Stig Stig, 8 years ago

"Also Clicked" Report
I'd like a report that shows how many of the subscribers who clicked a link, also clicked the other links.
Example:

Of the subscribers who clicked the Product A link,
67% also clicked the Product C link
31% also clicked the Product B link
4% also clicked the Product D link

etc..

This should be available with either link as starting point.

This would help me see the interest patterns of my subscribers, and I would be able to use the segmentation feature in a more powerful way.

If I'm sending a campaign related to Product A, I know those who clicked Product C might also be interested. Or I might send one only to those who clicked A and C. Etc.

Clearinghouse, 8 years ago

I think a nice option would be if you could export a list based off the reports you get back.

Example: If i wanted to export a list of those who didn't open a campaign.

Or, if I wanted to export a list of those who clicked on a link from a paticular campaign.

This would be nice.

You already have some of this built in, where for example I can export a list of subscribers who bounced. You should be able to export a list of those who clicked on a link, or those who didn't open a campaign, etc etc etc. Just the basics here really.......

aognenoff, 8 years ago

API

I don't see the point to the Subscriber.AddAndResubscribe method.  Why not make Subscriber.Add handle both scenarios so we don't have to determine if the subscriber has ever been subscribed before. Let us just add subscribers with one method and be done with it (as it is we can't tell if an individual subscriber has ever been subscribed before via the API unless we track it in our own database.)

Jason Jason, 8 years ago

Hi Andy,

The reason we implemented these two methods was to allow the developer using the API to have a choice as to the behavior, depending on the circumstances under which they were adding a subscriber.

The simple add will not resubscribe recipients, and this is suitable for when the user develops his script and knows that the imported subscribers may contain previously unsubscribed/deactivated recipients, and doesn't want them accidentally added.

The AddAndResubscribe is there for use either when the developer is certain no duplicates will be added, or when it is posting from behind a form on a website, where it is the actual subscriber trying to resubscribe.

Hope this clears things up.

redcat, 8 years ago

Editing an imported email

This might already be possible but I'm relatively new to this and I haven't found it yet.

I import a design into CM and the client comes back and wants to change one word.  It would be nice to be able to open what was already imported and make small changes like that.

Regards
Andy Jacobs
redcat, 8 years ago

Suppressing whole domains

Again, might be possible already but I can't find it.

I've got a 24500 long list of e-mail addresses and the client has come back and given me a list of 6 domains that need to be suppressed.  It would be nice to be able to use the domain rather than a specific address.

Regards
Andy Jacobs
Stig Stig, 8 years ago
redcat :

I've got a 24500 long list of e-mail addresses and the client has come back and given me a list of 6 domains that need to be suppressed.  It would be nice to be able to use the domain rather than a specific address.

Hi redcat,
you can do this from the Manage Subscriber List page.

At the bottom of the page, where the subscribers are listed, enter a domain name in the "Search Within These Results" field, and click "Search".

Once the results show up, click the "Select" table header to select all listed subscribers (you might want to skim through the list to make sure they're all from the right domain), and choose "Move selected to Unsubscribed Subscribers" at the bottom of the page.

Repeat this as many times as you have to for each domain.

If you're dealing with a lot of subscribers, you could change the "In Groups Of" field at the top left of the list to 100, to make the process a little quicker.

Stig

redcat, 8 years ago

Hi Stig

Yep, just found that :)  Typical, I spent ages going through a spreadsheet, imported it and then the client came back with a new spreadsheet with more names but the ones they wanted removed were still in there!

Much quicker your way.

Thanks

Regards
Andy Jacobs
nicknack, 8 years ago

The reporting overview on MailBuild is not as 'friendly' as on Campaign Monitor could it be the same?
Also when a client has receives an invoice would it be possible to send them a customised version which includes a company heading, address and VAT number, rather than us having to send this on separetely.

Stig Stig, 8 years ago

Advanced/easy mode
A lot of the features being requested (here and elsewhere), are only useful to "more advanced" users.

It might be an idea to split the app into an advanced mode with more choices, and an easy mode like what we have today?

aognenoff, 8 years ago
Jason :

The AddAndResubscribe is there for use either when the developer is certain no duplicates will be added, or when it is posting from behind a form on a website, where it is the actual subscriber trying to resubscribe.

Don't I feel like an idiot...I was making it way harder than it needed to be.  I thought the AddAndResubscribe _only_ worked on subscribers that were already in the database.  Now that I understand, it makes things so much easier.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.

a list on the forums to see who is currently online

Stig Stig, 8 years ago
Stormy :

Here ya go ;)

stig :
Stormy :

Here ya go ;)

HA! Hadn't realised it was PunBB :) Cheers Stig

pjelliffe, 8 years ago

SalesForce Integration please.

Getting lists of subscribers from reports in SFDC.

Tracking opens and click throughs

Basically accessing any data Campaign Monitor tracks, but through the SFDC interface.

Stig Stig, 8 years ago

Conditionals in Content Tags

When creating an email, there's a number of Campaign Monitor specific tags that you can include in the HTML or the plain text body. There should be a few more :)

I would like to see if, elseif and else tags, and a bunch of values to test, like:

email.isforwarded
email.iswebversion
email.sentdate

receiver.issubscribed
receiver.fieldvalue([name, custom field, etc.])
receiver.forwardedfrom
receiver.addressuser
receiver.addressdomain
receiver.addresstld
receiver.isfirstemail
receiver.joineddate(format)

random(max)

And so on.. Nevermind the "syntax". There's probably lots of others that might be useful. You might want to remove some of these though..

Then you need a couple methods to compare, etc.:

equals(a,b)
contains(a,b)
largerthan(a,b)
isnull(a)
isnotnull(a)
istrue(a)
isfalse(a)

Some examples of how this could be used:

No self referencing webversion link
[if isfalse(email.iswebversion)]
<webversion>Click here to open in browser</webversion>
[/if]

Like I already said, nevermind the syntax. This could obviously be improved (something like if isnotwebversion..?).

For forwarded emails
I'll throw another request in here with my next example: a subscribe tag.

[if email.isforwarded]This email was forwarded from [receiver.forwardedfrom].[/if]
[if isfalse(receiver.issubscribed)]<subscribe>Click here if you wish to subscribe</subscribe>[/if]
<unsubscribe>Click here if you do not wish to receive any more emails from us</unsubscribe>

The "custom fields as fallback" problem
Hi [if isnotnull(receiver.fieldvalue("nickname"))]
[receiver.fieldvalue("nickname")]
[elseif isnotnull(receiver.fieldvalue("firstname"))]
[receiver.fieldvalue("firstname")]
[else]there, beautiful[/if]!

Email enviroment specific hacks (yes, this has big limitations)
[if equals(receiver.addressdomain,"hotmail.com")]
<style>/* Hotmail specific CSS hack */</style>
[/if]

Content variations based on custom fields
[if equals(receiver.fieldvalue("country"),"USA")]
<a href="http://example.com/">Find something something in the United States</a>
[elseif equals(receiver.fieldvalue("country"),"Australia")]
<a href="http://example.au/">Find something something in Australia</a>
[elseif equals(receiver.fieldvalue("country"),"Japan")]
<a href="http://example.co.jp/">Find something something in Japan</a>
[/if]

So the main idea is to be able to change minor portions of an email, without having to use segments and ruin the stats by splitting up a campaign.

It also allows for subscription related functions, etc., to be more contextually appropriate. And I know you can find plenty of other powerful ways to use it.

They way I've outlined it feels a little bloated, though, and not all to intuitve. Anyways, I hope you concider using at least portions of it.

I'd love to hear other people's input on this - how to improve the idea, and good ways to use it.

Stig Stig, 8 years ago

Sorry bout the long read, btw. I suck at being brief.

Stig

Dave Dave, 8 years ago

Stig, that's definitely got the ideas churning at our end. Give us the weekend to mull it over and we'll pick the discussion up next week. Thanks for going to all that trouble, and thanks for the great suggestions.

aognenoff, 8 years ago

I'll add my vote for everything stig said...great suggestions!

1. 1
  2. 2

Join 150,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098