Anti-spam policy question

I'm happy with CMs anti-spam measures, it's refreshing to see such dedication to the cause.

However, I have a question:

CMs policy states in part:

"If you don’t have permission and someone marks your campaign as spam, we’ll know about it the moment that button is pressed. If you receive a complaint rate greater than 0.25% of all recipients (that’s 25 complaints for every 10,000 recipients) your account will be terminated."

What happens if I DID have the subscribers permission but they ended up deciding to mark my campaign as spam?  Would this situation count towards the 0.25% limit for a CM account?

Or is this only relevant when you didn't have permission to start with? (which is fair enough)

Thanks.

travisbell travisbell, 7 years ago

Hi Joncar,

Yes, they still count towards the limit. The thing to remember is that any action we take isn't necessarily permanent. If you you can easily prove to use that the list was perfectly permission based, it usually just fine and we'll restore your account. This measure is in place to help catch those who *don't* have the proper permission.

--
Travis Bell
Joncar Joncar, 7 years ago

Hey Travis,

Thanks for the quick response, you guys are awesome.

Hmmm, food for thought eh?

I only had one subscriber mark the email as spam.
However, at the time my list contained <500 addresses so one spam complaint equals 0.22%.

Phew, that was close!
: )

travisbell travisbell, 7 years ago

Heh, yup!

Sometimes it's just the nature of some webmail clients too. No one can dispute that the location of the "mark as spam" buttons in Hotmail and AOL aren't a little too easy to click. Unfortunately, it's just the downside to a world with so much spam--these providers have had to make it almost too easy since it's such a problem.

--
Travis Bell

Join 150,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098