Subscriber List Ethics: Statute of Limitations?

There has been an initiative here at my company to drum up sales through contacting users who have purchased form us on our website(s). The subscriber (purchaser) listing I have dates back to 2002.

My question to you all is this:
At what point does it become unethical to contact your purchasers from the past? 2 years? 3-5 years? Ever?

Mathew Mathew, 9 years ago

Good question Mike.  Practically, the longer you leave it the less likely people are to be happy about it. Obviously the product itself is relevant too - someone who bought a house from you a few years ago might be happier to hear from you than someone who bought a toaster.

I'd love to hear from other people too.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
Dave Dave, 9 years ago

Mike, our permission policy stipulates that you can never contact anyone who gave you their permission more than 2 years ago and you haven't contacted since. Permission really doesn't age well, and to avoid complaints I'd even consider shortening that time frame even more.

To build upon Mat's points, it really all comes down to common sense. Put yourself in your customer's shoes (as in, pretty much forget that you exist) and then make the call on what is and isn't reasonable. Hope that helps.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free