Email address import

A client has a database of about 5,000 addresses that we have already sent a campaign to.  They have now given me a new database of about 500 addresses to send the campaign to and they believe some are duplicates.  If I create a new subscriber list from the new 500 person database, will it automatically check and see if there are duplicates in another database and then I can address that?  Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Diana Diana, 7 years ago

Hi jml. Subscribers lists are separate so any duplicates from list to list wouldn't be caught, only if you're importing to the same list. You'd need to export the original list (including the bounces and unsubscribes) and manually scrub the two lists to remove any duplicates and then import your new cleaned list.

~*~~*~~*~~*~
D. Potter
Campaign Monitor
kersti, 7 years ago

I have a similar issue, can someone tell us how to scrub the two lists easily via excel?

travisbell travisbell, 7 years ago

A few things to add...

If you select to send to both lists (at the same time), we will scrub duplicate emails and only send 1 copy. If you are looking at sending a second campaign after the fact, Diana is correct, you'd have to do this manually. You could export subscriber list 1, and then look for duplicates on subscriber list 2. In regards to an easy way to do this in Excel... not sure. A quick Google search found this for me: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP100739431033.aspx#Remove%20duplicate%20values No idea if/how well it works, but it looks like there are other ways to check for unique rows in an Excel document.

--
Travis Bell

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098