Using CM with an email list you have got already : Part II, UK

Hi,

Further to my last post, according to our Information Commisioner's Office here in the UK, as long as my old dat meets all three of the following, I can send email legally...

What is ‘soft opt-in’ (Regulation 22(3))?
This is what the law states.
You may send or instigate the sending of electronic mail for marketing purposes to an individual subscriber where:
1 you have obtained the contact details of the recipient in the course of a sale or negotiations for the sale of a product or service to that recipient;
2 the direct marketing material you are sending relates to your similar products and services only; and
3 the recipient has been given a simple means of refusing (free of charge except for the cost of transmission) the use of their contact details for marketing purposes at the time those details were initially collected and, where they did not refuse the use of those details, at the time of each subsequent communication.
In other words, if you satisfy these criteria, you do not need prior consent to send marketing by electronic mail to individual subscribers. If you cannot satisfy these criteria you cannot send marketing by electronic mail to individual subscribers without their prior consent.

Electronic Communications Guidance Version 3.1
Part 1 08-10-2007

Guess the crux of the matter is, is CM happy with this...?

Dave Dave, 7 years ago

This one is actually pretty clear cut from our perspective. Our permission polices go above and beyond the spam laws in each country. In our experience we've found that it's what your subscribers (and in turn their ISP's) expect, not what is and isn't legal.

Basically, unless every  subscriber in your list complies with our anti-spam policy, you can't send with Campaign Monitor. What you're doing may be legal, but it's not best practice. We stick to best practice.

crystalclear, 7 years ago

Fair enough...I personally agree with what CM's striving for..

crystalclear, 7 years ago

thanks dave, dont suppose you can help out at my other post: http://www.campaignmonitor.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2080

your answer in this thread may be answering part A of the thread found @ that link

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098