Beginner - I don't get it

I just signed up for Campaign Monitor.

I thought this was a 100% online tool.  That is, I thought I'd get to a screen where I could work with one of your templates, customize it online as needed and save it as the basis for my first client campaign.  I can't seem to do that.  And I can't seem to get to the Campaign Editor. And it seems I need to download templates -- which I've done, but I absolutely don't know what to do with them.

I'm a copywriter, not a designer.  I chose this service because it looked to me like no design or html skill was necessary to create and send great looking email newsletters.

I'm sure that's the case.  I just can't seem to get there.  I've seen the part of your video where it shows how clients can edit newsletters online and see changes in real time.  That's what I want to do with your template and work on it online, seeing my changes as I go until it's the newsletter I want.

Sorry if I'm being dense.

An online video tutorial sure would help.

fyredefyre fyredefyre, 7 years ago

Sounds like you may need a designer to build your initial template for you. Once the framework is in place, editing your campaign simply comes down to the maintenance of images & text - something you'll be able to do quite easily.

If you would like some assistance please let me know as I'm happy to quote you on this service and have spent many years building email campaigns for companies large and small. - Everything Email.
Email: Skype: fyredefyre
eyoung eyoung, 7 years ago

have you read the homepage? 'email marketing software just for designers' you basically need design and html skills to create a customised template.

however it does seem like you just need a designer.

this may help you get started:
download a template, customise it
click on a client, go to the templates tab to the right
upload template

hope that helps

knorkin, 7 years ago

You're right.  It says for designers.  I guess I didn't think about what that meant.  Especially since there are all those pre-designed templates.

I was hoping I could do it all in the Campaign Editor  that's so easy even the client can use it.

You know, bring the template I want to use into the Campaign Editor and use that to replace the header, customize the other text, enter my client's content and be good to go.  There's a very clean single column template that's exactly what I'm looking for.  I only need to change the header to my client's project's name.

If I have to hire a designer for that little bit, I will.

Maybe I can do it in iWeb, publish to a folder and upload from there.

foamcow, 7 years ago

To use the free, ready made templates do the following:

1. Download the zip file for the template you want and unzip it.
2. Log in to your CM account and click "Templates" (should be top right hand side)
3. You'll see a list of templates available to you and you can add one by clicking the link (again, on the right I think)
4. On the following screen, upload the html file from the unzipped template, the "" file and the optional screenshot file
5. Hit upload and the files will go into your available templates. When you then create a new campaign you can select the template you want from your library and then edit the content of the email - you leave the template itself alone.

Depending on which template you use and how it is created you will be able to edit different parts of the content.

Now, you can, if you wish, employ a designer to create a custom template for you. Campaign Monitor uses a fairly simple tagging system to mark areas as being editable so it shouldn't be beyond the skills of your average web monkey.

Hope that is of some help to you. I think the key is to realise that there are no templates in your library to start with and you have to put them there. There are lots of freebies avaialble from CM you just have to download them re-upload them. Perhaps in future CM will make it possible to automatically install the template with a single click to save the download/upload process.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free