Extending Segments

Hey CM Team,

I am interested in using Segments to target campaigns to geographic regions. My mailing list includes a custom field for the postal code (zip code). However, most metropolitan areas (ie, Chicago, Los Angeles, Wellington) have a range of numbers. For example, the city of Chicago has zip codes between 60015 and 60830.

Segments is a great tool: it allows you to organize numbers greater and less than. But, does it allow you to add a rule with numbers in a range? Does it allow you to specify how the rules interact with each other (using "and" vs. "or")?

This would be a brilliant addition to an already great tool. Please let me know if I can further clarify this idea :)

Thanks,
Armistead

Mathew Mathew, 9 years ago

Hey Armistead,

You can combine rules in segments, as in 'zip is more than 60015' AND 'zip is less than 60830'

you just need to make sure you are creating a new rule block each time for 'AND' rules.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
Rachel_Fasnacht, 8 years ago

Help.  This is exactly what I am working on doing as well.  However, the greater than and less than options are not showing up.  They do with the phone number segment but not the zips.  What do I need to do?

R

Dave Dave, 8 years ago

Hey Rachel, your best bet would be to make sure your zip custom field is a set as a number, and not just text. Head into your custom fields and if it's not already, convert the field to numbers. now, head back into Segments and he greater than, less than functionality should be available.

Alex D, 8 years ago

Just an FYI.. Not all countries use numbers for zip codes.. In Canada we use a mix of both.. V3E 2E4

So the Option Dave suggested doesn't fly..

Alex Duffield - Owner
InControl Solutions
http://www.incontrolsolutions.com
Veken, 8 years ago

I would love to do this as well!

Has anybody had any success with it?
Is there a database that lists the zip codes for different regions?
Right now I've resorted to creating a custom field for "metro area" but it's rather limited compared to zip codes.

Also, what about zip codes that start with "0" will those work if the field is set as a number?

aognenoff, 8 years ago

Veken, you could buy a subscription to the zip code database from GreatData.com.  We do that for our store locator and we get updates 4 times a year.  They have all sorts of add-ons to link zip codes to MSAs, DMAs, etc. but the base product comes with city, county, state for $100.

Veken, 8 years ago

Thanks for the tip.. that looks like it could come in handy.

Ideally, I'd love something I could put in a zip code and get a segment of people within a certain radius of that zip.

Now does CM allow for numbers to start with zeros so that you can use a rule combination to create a segment for a range of Zip Codes that start with zero?

Ben Ben, 8 years ago

Yes, CM does allow for numbers to start with zeros so you can use a rule combination to create a segment for a range of Zip Codes that start with zero.

hearsay hearsay, 7 years ago
Veken :

Ideally, I'd love something I could put in a zip code and get a segment of people within a certain radius of that zip.

I've got a potential client that is an artist manager in the music industry. He wants to be able to send out an email blast when his artist(s) have a concert in a certain city, but we don't want to just blanket the whole list with an irrelevant message. I would LOVE to be able to provide him the ability to say "email everyone within a 100 mile radius of this city/zipcode." Has anyone figured this out? Would it even be possible?

Kev
Stig Stig, 7 years ago
hearsay :
Veken :

I've got a potential client that is an artist manager in the music industry. He wants to be able to send out an email blast when his artist(s) have a concert in a certain city, but we don't want to just blanket the whole list with an irrelevant message. I would LOVE to be able to provide him the ability to say "email everyone within a 100 mile radius of this city/zipcode." Has anyone figured this out? Would it even be possible?

This requires a way, outside of CM, of generating a list of zip codes within the given radius. Once you have that, you can import it to CM.

Stig

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
stig :

This requires a way, outside of CM, of generating a list of zip codes within the given radius. Once you have that, you can import it to CM.

Stig

I figured it might require some outside programming with the API. Think you might be able to elaborate further? I'm new to CM, and having not used the API, just want to make sure it's possible before pitching to the client. Thanks Stig!

Kev
Stig Stig, 7 years ago

Hi Kev!
The lo-fi way is to simply compile the lists manually, by finding the zip codes you want on a map.

If you want something that's faster to use, it should be possible to develop a solution using the Campaign Monitor API and, say, the Google Maps API.

Depending on how much you'll use it, you have to decide how much effort to put into it.

Stig

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.

Does the Campaign Monitor API allow you to create segments? For that matter, does the Google Maps API even allow you to get a list of zips? I don't think either of these things are possible. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Kev
Dave Dave, 7 years ago

Kev, the API doesn't allow you to create segments, but you can easily create custom fields and update them after the latest API updates.

Can I make a feature request to be able to define segments through the API? I know it's a heavy request, but I can see some cool possibilities with it.

Kev
Dave Dave, 7 years ago

Absolutely Kev, that's been noted. Thanks for the feedback.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098