Weird subscriber signups

This is an odd thing that's been bugging me for a while, and I was wondering if anyone had any insight into it.

Through the subscription form on our website, we get a LOT of bogus subscriptions that follow the same basic format.  The  email address is usually [gibberish]@[gibberish].com; the name is always the same word repeated twice - sometimes [gibberish], sometimes a real name. 

Here are some recent examples, all from the last few days:

ggscc@gmail.com    bgdfccd bgdfccd
fordino@gmail.com    fordino fordino
huntelarr@yahoo.com    huntube huntube
fggde@gmail.com    dsfef dsfef
yeepeq@heilay.com    kcpticx kcpticx
gscc@gmail.com    dgsd dgsd
vnqkosnd@vflpkihr.com    Odysseus Searles Odysseus Searles
axozkyic@fxkpuhld.com    Rei Rei
palilpjr@oynvapfi.com    Osric Aschach Osric Aschach
tpgpalge@nlxlvepq.com    Jael Jael
qniaflgk@cvqtnlcl.com    Denver Denver
jas32435@gmail.com    Jason Jason
ssqpgmfh@jbjnbyvh.com    Brady Brady
gstaavif@vnywurjw.com    Nyoko Nyoko
lbpkaysa@bdaqabre.com    Gavrie Gavrie
ajjxsybo@xwzmjcic.com    Cournane Cournane
aikiaimv@vhawivdi.com    Samuel Samuel
fgndbw@upvbub.com    hjnyzlavgbg hjnyzlavgbg
dfgefhhfg@yahoo.com    trasetube trasetube

Of course, these bogus addresses all bounce out eventually, but they cost me a penny each, and the annoy me no end.

I've been assuming that these were the work of some bot, since they seem algorithmically generated, and who would go to the trouble of doing all this by hand?  Further, I've been speculating that there may be some sort of exploit or attempt to compromise the email database behind it.  Otherwise I can't see the point.  Unless it's simply to annoy me.

Anyway, we're getting a lot of these, and it's getting worse.  I periodically weed them out by hand, but that's a pain too.

Has anyone else seen this sort of thing?  Any insight into what it's all about?  Any info that anyone can share would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Joomlabo, 7 years ago

Yes I have seen this and have been equally annoyed. They are as far as I know results of some stupid robot and you shall have to put on one of these smart question based verification formulas in order to avoid it. Or some better login form which will allow you to make certain that anyone who wants to register has to be verified by you. Which is a  bore of course, so the best solution is a verification which is based on human interaction,

best regards
Bjørn

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098