Nested repeaters - or is there another way to do this?

We're transferring a template design across from another system and need to achieve the following layout:

Latest News
repeater two cell table with text on left and image on right

Upcoming Events
repeater two cell table as above

Another Section Heading
repeater as above again

The problem we're having is that for one newsletter the client may have three main sections (Latest News, Upcoming Events and a further one) but for the next they may have six, or two. In each section they also have a variable number of items.

Our preferred solution would be to use nested repeaters so that the customer could add  a new section that would have a section heading and then multiple repeaters underneath that. Currently I understand nested repeaters aren't supported so the options we can come up with are

1. to create a template with lots of headings and repeaters and to get our client to remove the ones they don't want each time, or
2. to get the client to use the title field only for the first item in each section (eg they add an item title it Latest News then add all of the items underneath this and don't give them a title. This works but leaves us with odd spacing issues because the blank title still appears and also means we're unable to the the table of contents because it creates blank links to each untitled item.

So I guess my questions are

1. Are looking at this the wrong way?
2. If not is there a chance that nested repeaters will be supported down the track?
(3. Bonus points question: is there a way of not spitting out any heading code in the body of the email and TOC if none is added for a repeater item?)

Hope this makes sense :-)

boules, 7 years ago

Having the exact same issue. Is there any chance we might be able to get a response on this??

rockyshark, 7 years ago

Just come across this too.

Our problem is similar - we know what sections the client needs (it will always be 4 in the template we're creating) we don't know how many items will be in each section.

We also really need each item to appear in the TOC, so just using the description for each individual item won't help. My client sent me a link to this as an example: http://www.experienceperth.com/NR/rdonlyres/A5D47124-340B-4000-A730-C37472AEC2F6/0/February09InsideTourism.html

By far this would become my biggest newsletter client - I don't want to miss out on this one.

erina, 7 years ago

I am having the same issue - I'd really like to be able to use nested repeaters, or at the very least be able to have the table of contents pull from multiple repeater blocks - is there any way for this to happen?

circulo, 7 years ago

+1 votes for nested repeaters!  (1 level is enough)

+1 vote for extra image in a repeater

+1 vote for extra title/description

durmans, 7 years ago

+1 vote for extra title/description, as well. (Headline, Subhead, Description)

fyredefyre fyredefyre, 7 years ago

Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way, but surely the right way of doing this is creating a nestled table with a repeater around it? I adopt the same approach with my clients and it works fine.

All you need to remember is to add a cell within your nestled table underneath so the repeating items cascade down with an even gap.

Here's an example:

<repeater>
<table width="300" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
  <tr>
    <td width="60" rowspan="2">[img]</td>
    <td width="30" rowspan="2"></td>
    <td width="210">Headline</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Copy</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td height="30" colspan="3"></td>
  </tr>
</table>
</repeater>

www.phenom.com.au - Everything Email.
Email: jordan.hunt@phenom.com.au Skype: fyredefyre

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098