I have a client who is using Campaign Monitor to send emails to employees within a large corporation. Approximately 95% of the organization uses Lotus Notes. We ran a couple small tests to 5-person recipient lists and found the accuracy of the reporting to be all over the place. Sometimes all emails were received and opened but the reports showed zero opens. So we decided to expand the test to a larger audience (around 70) and again the reporting is wildly inaccurate - 90% received the messages, opened them and clicked links - but the reports only show a small fraction of this.
I really don't think the issue is with Campaign Monitor, but I think we're going to be getting some backlash from the client in the near future and want to be prepare. Anyone have any thoughts on why this might be occurring?
That is quite odd. If they're just opening just not loading images that would explain it not being marked as an open. If they're opening the HTML version and clicking a link it should be counted as an open though. Are they viewing the HTML version or the plain text version?
Back in my days of just designing and sending emails (before working here) I worked with a lot of customers using Lotus Notes only and although the rendering is unpredictable (at best) I don't remember ever running into issues with reporting issues like that. Very odd.
You might want to send an email into support so we can take a look at the actual campaign and reports.
They are viewing the HTML version. The template doesn't include any images - on purpose - due to the complete incompetence of Lotus Notes.
Email sent to support
Thanks. Images still need to be loaded to track as an open unless a link is clicked. By default we're tracking opens by loading a small tracking image. So it's by loading images we're able to note it as an open. There is a little bit more about how we're tracking opens here:
We're still helping you out via support but since this is here too I wanted to put that information out in the public for anyone with similar issues :).
Diana, what was the outcome of this - having a similar issue.
Wow was that a long time ago :). Unfortunately, from looking at the history there wasn't a firm resolution. We weren't able to fully test with the campaign so it was just theorizing and testing. Often in those cases, though, people might be viewing the plain text version (even if they say otherwise, because they might not realize it) which isn't trackable or the email client could be messing with the links (I've seen a super restrictive system where when URLs are used as link text the anti-phishing type protection removes the tracking links, so we wouldn't be able to track) or images.
Many thanks for the reply Diana. :)
From Australia to Zimbabwe, and everywhere in between, companies count on Campaign Monitor for email campaigns that drive real business results.Get started for free