Gmail rendering problems

I used a Campaign Monitor template for the first time recently, and the email looked fine in all the ways I tested it except Gmail. The template used several classes attached to the <td> tag, and these are what did not render correctly. Does Gmail just not recognize <td> classes? In the past I've designed emails in which I embedded all the style information right in each tag, and this works reliably in Gmail (but is tedious!).

Diana Diana, 7 years ago

Hi,

Gmail does require inline styles, which we insert automatically if you import a file as a template or you can optionally have inserted if you're importing a completed campaign. If you imported a completed campaign did you check the box to have the styles moved inline?  If not that would be the problem.

If you did, well Gmail used to recognize inline styles in td tags but they seem to be having some issues right now, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're having problems with that. They're also not recognizing default paragraph spacing either at the moment. Darn Gmail!

~*~~*~~*~~*~
D. Potter
Campaign Monitor
nsnoblin, 7 years ago

Aha, thank you! I downloaded the template and then doodled around with it and did not import it as a template. Next time I will move the styles inline.

Diana Diana, 7 years ago

That would be it then. There is always an option to have styles moved inline, so you don't need to worry about doing it manually, you just need to make sure if you're importing a completed campaign you check the move styles inline box (right under the import field).

~*~~*~~*~~*~
D. Potter
Campaign Monitor
nsnoblin, 7 years ago

I knew that box was there but I never tried it because (sorry) I didn't trust it! I just did a test and it worked perfectly. Thanks again.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098