Is there a guide / listing of all the template tags ?

I've come across two files on this site:
- Quick List of Content Tags
- Template How-To Guide

Both of which seem incomplete and without any actual info as to
- actual behavior of tags
- what parameters are allowed
- etc

Even worse -- the template how-to guide makes you jump around all over it.

Why isn't there a single document that can be used as a reference in creating templates ?

Dave Dave, 7 years ago

Hi jvanasco, the How to create Campaign Monitor templates is the best place to start, but we're always keen to improve our documentation to make building templates as simple as possible.

I'd love to know what you think is missing and how you'd prefer the template guide to be laid out so we can fill any gaps.

nitecode, 7 years ago

I would love to see what other tags are available to personalize/costomize templates based on the information from the list, or the info filled in when sending a campaign. For example I have a client that manages multiple lists. I would like to insert the name of the list into the email at the bottom in a block of text that reads something like this

"You are receiving this email because you are subscribed to the <list name> mailing list. Click here to manage your subscriptions, or here to unsubscribe."

I would like to insert the name of the list they are subscribed to in place of my faux tag "<list name>".

Secondly, I would like to pull the reply to email and use that as a link in the body of the email that says contact us, but uses what ever email address was entered in the "reply to" field while creating the campaign.

That is the type of documentation related to tags I would love to see.

fyredefyre fyredefyre, 7 years ago

Some form of encylopedia of technical terms within Campaign Monitor would be fantastic, as personally the standard 'How To Create Campaign Monitor templates' page just doesn't cut the mustard.

From a technical point of view, a library of available commands is perfect to maximise the potential of using all available features within an email that Campaign Monitor would support at once. Who knows, perhaps there's some hidden 'advanced' settings that we don't know about that has just been implemented!

I know there's brief mentions of these tags throughout the site, but taking this a step further and compiling this into one area would be really nice. - Everything Email.
Email: Skype: fyredefyre
jvanasco, 7 years ago

Trying to use the  "How to create Campaign Monitor templates" tutorial as a good reference / documentation is ridiculous at best.  It's a cast study on doing creating a single template, and follows no organizational structure.

The commands in that tutorial, along with the items in the 'quick list of content tags' should be merged into one document that is used as a reference of all applicable commands / tags in a template.

As for style, the Wordpress and MovableType systems are pretty good at describing stuff... and this system is a microtemplating language like theirs

1- complete list of tags

2- description of tag, along with usage example and all parameters & link to

All this information could be on one page -- there isn't much to go around... but right now I have to dig back and forth through text in a tutorial and then tab to another browser window to see the other tags.  That's incredibly awkward.

Dave Dave, 7 years ago

Fantastic feedback thanks guys, appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We'll look at a range of improvements we can make to this documentation based on your recommendations.

bm-crossmedia bm-crossmedia, 6 years ago

Using <$currentmonthname$>, how can I have the date displayed in the correct language for the newsletter? We're preparing for a number of clients in German and French.

Mathew Mathew, 6 years ago

At the moment, those tags are only available in English, but we'll record your request for them to be in other languages too.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free