Has anyone noticed extra space to the right of links?

Hiya...

Has anyone else noticed extra space between a link and non link...lets assume the bold text is a link i.e

Click here to view the online version, click here to unsubscribe.

I have noticed a space immediately to the right of the link, making it look like there is an extra space between it and the comma... i.e

Click here to view the online version , click here to unsubscribe.

There isnt any space in my code, the <a> tags are styled to have no margin and padding...

..but what is a little peculiar, is that where there isnt a link immediately to the right of the comma in this case there does not appear to be any extra space... which looks like this

Click here to view the online version, and the text follows normally here

Tested emails appear like this in Outlook 2007 and Mail on the Mac.

Any ideas...similar observations welcomed.

Cheers
R

Mathew Mathew, 7 years ago

We haven't notice anything like that - can you grab some screenshots and show the relevant code?

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
Richard.Wendon Richard.Wendon, 7 years ago

Here is a link with everything you should need click here

Mathew Mathew, 7 years ago

Thanks,

From your example it is almost certainly the newline that is causing the issue. You might try shortening your HTML lines and breaking them earlier, it would probably avoid the problem.

Browsers and email clients are not meant to be affected by whitespace and newlines in HTML source, but they often are.

Thanks for the reply...just to clarify the line-break hasnt been put in by me... but what your saying is that as the line is so long its creating a new line after being past through the CM system or email client.

I used the (have to say life saving) convert to inline styles tool to create them, but i notice that CM does like to break it down into margin-left, margin-right etc where in the case of my example margin: 0; could be used (unless you guys have found that being that explicit with left, right, top and bottom has improved results)

Do you think that perhaps the convert to inline styles tool code be developed in such a way to use the shortened styles?

That would also go along way to shortening the lines of code.... especially where most elements need to be given a margin and padding of 0, to avoid unpredictable spacing results.

Many Thanks.

** UPDATE **

As you suggested manually breaking the line in the code has resolved that issue, but i think it would still be worth shortening any css property that uses left, right, top and bottom attributes if possible.

Would save a shed load of extra code, and probably shave a few kb on each email... especially on emails that make use of shims (spacer graphics)

Anyway many thanks, and keep up the great work.

darinreid darinreid, 6 years ago

I've built a custom template for a client, so they may add content through the template editor. The problem is, some links will have an extra space added after the link.

In the following example, an extra space was added after the forward to a friend link, before the following comma:

<webversion>Read this in a browser</webversion>, <forwardtoafriend>forward to a friend</forwardtoafriend>, or <unsubscribe>unsubscribe</unsubscribe>.

Turned into this: Read this in a browser, forward to a friend , or unsubscribe.

I was able to fix this in my custom template by moving each item to a new line like this:

<webversion>Read this in a browser</webversion>,
<forwardtoafriend>forward to a friend</forwardtoafriend>, or
<unsubscribe>unsubscribe</unsubscribe>.

As for links added in the template editor <$description$> areas by the client, I was able to fix those by adding a line break in the code view of the editor after each link followed by a comma, which removed the extra space. Going back to the normal edit view undid my fixes.

As I won't be able to edit the source of every paragraph my client adds to an email, I need to find a solution for this. I've tried moving all styles inline before uploading my template, and there is no change.

Example screenshots and code: http://threedegrees.darinreid.com/email/

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

jdwyah, 6 years ago

This is affecting us as well and as Darin notes, rewriting the HTML is not a great option. Why does CM insert line breaks into the HTML at all?

Our HTML ends up looking like:

from our President=
 and Co-Founder <a href=3D"http://foo.com/t/y/i/bidkkh/=
=
l=
/e" style=3D"text-decoration:none;col=
or:#1558c3;" >Ben</a>
.&nbsp; What are the privacy implications of      openness?&nbsp; How doe=

Which renders as:

from our President= and Co-Founder Ben .  What are the privacy implications of openness
pohutukawa, 6 years ago
darinreid :

I've built a custom template for a client, so they may add content through the template editor. The problem is, some links will have an extra space added after the link.

In the following example, an extra space was added after the forward to a friend link, before the following comma:

<webversion>Read this in a browser</webversion>, <forwardtoafriend>forward to a friend</forwardtoafriend>, or <unsubscribe>unsubscribe</unsubscribe>.

Turned into this: Read this in a browser, forward to a friend , or unsubscribe.

I was able to fix this in my custom template by moving each item to a new line like this:

<webversion>Read this in a browser</webversion>,
<forwardtoafriend>forward to a friend</forwardtoafriend>, or
<unsubscribe>unsubscribe</unsubscribe>.

As for links added in the template editor <$description$> areas by the client, I was able to fix those by adding a line break in the code view of the editor after each link followed by a comma, which removed the extra space. Going back to the normal edit view undid my fixes.

As I won't be able to edit the source of every paragraph my client adds to an email, I need to find a solution for this. I've tried moving all styles inline before uploading my template, and there is no change.

Example screenshots and code: http://threedegrees.darinreid.com/email/

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

OK so thanks to Greg at Campaign Monitor we (Manuka Media) have resolved this issue (for us anyway) ... simply add line-breaks INSIDE tags that exist in long sequences.

In other words, to prevent CM adding line-breaks in your code in order to keep the maximum line length down (so it doesn't upset Outlook, at least ... apparently), insert them yourself but to avoid gaps in your layout from the line-breaks, insert them within tags.

Happy to clarify if my description above doesn't cut the mustard!

Robin

Jarrod Jarrod, 6 years ago

Hey guys, I appreciate that this problem can be a real pain and that you can't always expect your clients to insert line breaks in their source code. We'll be taking another look at it and seeing if there are any resolutions. It's a tricky bug to fix because its occurrence is not completely predictable.

bradbuckingham, 6 years ago

I'm experiencing the same issue with a custom template that I created for a client. If I delete the extra space between the link and the period (even in the "source" editor), and I save and reload the content editor, the space shows up again.  Let me know if you need any links or screenshots that can help diagnose this issue.

Diana Diana, 6 years ago

Hey Brad,

Adding a line break in the tags around the link should fix it or in the link tag itself. Have you given that a try?

To note, a big reason why this is occurring is because we're trying to prevent another issue. Once lines get too long Outlook starts acting up and will just break the link completely, so we're automatically detecting those long lines and putting in breaks to prevent that, but unfortunately sometimes, like these, that has undesirable results (like what's occurring here).

~*~~*~~*~~*~
D. Potter
Campaign Monitor
bradbuckingham, 6 years ago

Thanks Diana, I added a line break in the "source" view between the "a" and the "href" of the offending links. I saved the changes and everything looked good.  I then reloaded the content editor, and everything still looked good.  Now, I clicked the pencil "edit" button and changed a random word and saved my changes.  Now, I reloaded the content editor again, and the weird spaces are back.

Does this mean that we need to insert a line break between all "a" and "href"s any time we edit any of the content?

transformer, 6 years ago

Gotta love Outlook bringing everyone down :o(

I'm finding the same problem – CM breaking long HTML lines and creating extra spaces after links – and it does seem to reset any manual breaks I add to the source through the editor if I save and click back in to edit more.

Surely there's a less-obtrusive way to break/wrap HTML lines that doesn't create extra spaces?

This is pretty difficult to explain to clients using templates!

Mathew Mathew, 6 years ago

It's actually quite tricky to find a way to do this that fixes the original problems but doesn't cause other issues. The main difficulty is replicating the problem consistently, as Outlook seems to not always do the same thing.

We definitely see how annoying it is, and I'll make sure our developers take another look at it.

icweb, 5 years ago

Help! This is happening to us too. And as a test to add a break to the source code, I made the link into an anchor link, as well as the text that wraps the link.

Still added a space after the link.

Ugh... Why is this happening? How can we fix this. Looks very unprofessional. Please help?

NickoLabs NickoLabs, 5 years ago

Can we have a snippet of code and a screenshot to look at it?

Nickolas Simard
Multimedia integrator: Strategy & Web development
WebsiteTwitterFacebookLinkedIn
roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 5 years ago

Hi folks, it's Ros here - just to let you know, we pushed a fix for the editor adding unwanted spaces, in a recent update. If you still see this occurring, please get in touch with our support team and we'll take a look.

Thank you for your feedback along the way - and your patience with us. Hopefully this is one wrinkle we've ironed out, once and for all.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098