Select subscribers to populate a segment

I just came across this problem with segments. I need to create a segment within a rather small list. While I could create all kinds of rules to try and match the subscribers, I basically just want to select those subscribers I want to be part of the segment. It doesn't need to update automatically, I just want to be able to mail a particular group of subscribers.

Is this feature lacking, or am I looking in the wrong place?

Diana Diana, 7 years ago

Hi Tijs,

It's not possible to just manually select subscribers and add them to a segment. What you could do though is export your subscriber list and add in a new column/field and add in something like yes/no to denote if they should be flagged for that segment or not and reimport (that will update the subscribers with your new field). You can then create a segment based on that field and capture just the yeses (or whatever you choose to add).

~*~~*~~*~~*~
D. Potter
Campaign Monitor
Tijs, 7 years ago

Of course, but as I'm limited to 10 custom fields only, I've got to be careful to create a custom field for any segment I need. Moreover, I takes a whole lot more time to do this export-create custom field-import thing, compared to just selecting those subscribers you want to include, right?

Diana Diana, 7 years ago

Tijs,

True. You could just create a new list. Segments are generally meant for something that would continually update, not just a 1 off list for 1 time use basically. If it's a fixed list of certain subscribers a new list might actually make more sense.

~*~~*~~*~~*~
D. Potter
Campaign Monitor

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098