cellspacing in the new gmail code isn't rendering

I've tested this a few times now and gmail doesn't recognized my cellspacing.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="6">

It shows up just fine in 'basic html' gmail and 'older version' gmail but not the new stuff.

Anyone else run into this yet?

Stig Stig, 8 years ago

Hi westerndave,

I'd try doing it with (inline) CSS.

The border-spacing property should get you there.

Stig

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
Rachele, 8 years ago

I'm running into this problem too.  I'm working on a new customer template and dumbing everything down so I took out any CSS padding, trying to rely only on table cellpadding but for some reason Gmail is completely ignoring it.

When I view the source of the e-mail, the cellpadding is in there, just not being rendered.  I've carefully looked over the email to ensure nothing has padding: 0 or margin: 0 anywhere.

Does anyone have insight into this?

Stig Stig, 8 years ago

Hi Rachele,
again, I'd recommend inline CSS. Instead of using cellpadding="x", try style="padding: x;".

Stig

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
westerndave, 8 years ago

the border-spacing didn't work. what's up with gmail now?

dujnoyl, 8 years ago

The new Gmail is botching inline CSS padding as well. When you use the "Older Version" to revert back to the old Gmail it works fine. Anybody have a work-around? The only solution I can come up with is to use huge images which is not a viable long-term solution for us.

FYI - Accounts with Gmail through your own domain are fine, just accounts ending in gmail.com seem to be affected.

Say it ain't so!

I'm going to keep testing and I'll report back with the results.

============== UPDATE ====================

Adding padding to a TABLE or TR element used to work just fine - it no longer works in the latest Gmail update. Cellpadding and cellspacing seem to be out the window as well. However, when you apply the padding directly to a TD, it works fine. I've added padding to tables before in other situations, but perhaps that isn't the W3C correct way. More likely, Google is being a stinker. Hope this helps somebody, it was a headache for me!

Dave Dave, 8 years ago

Thanks for the update dujnoyl, the fact that there are two different rendering conditions depending on if you log into usual gmail, or google apps for your domain seems crazy. I've heard similar reports from those using the new version of Windows Live Hotmail as a new customer rather than those that have been updated from the older Hotmail.

We plan on looking into this a little more in a future blog post (possible for the soon to be launched Email Standards Project site.)

maraxus, 8 years ago

Directly padding the <td> solves my cellpadding issue with g-mail;

But what about cellspacing?
I have a table with 2 columns 2 rows, a 4 cell grid. Each cell has a border around it.
I'd like them to not sit directly next to each other, any ideas?

maraxus, 8 years ago

I swear gmail is driving me crazy.

Join 150,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098