Getting API List ID into campaign email

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a situation where a link within a campaign email has both the recipient's email address and the API List ID they're a memeber of within it.

I know the content tag for their email is [emailaddress], but so far I've been unable to find any reference to their API List ID. Is there any way this can be dynamically added to the email when a campaign is sent out?

Stig Stig, 9 years ago

Hi adammoxley,
from what ypu write, I get the feeling you're dealing with severely large lists?

One way to solve this, is add a custom field to each list, where you set the API List ID for each subscriber in the list. This is obviously not an easily maintainable solution so here's another suggestion ;)

You could send the campaign once per list, and use a modified template for each. The main downside to this would be that the statistics would be split up.

So no, I don't think there's a good way to do this, right now.

I'm also not sure if there are any (security) reasons why you'd want to keep your List IDs secret, so I won't comment further on that :)

Stig

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
adammoxley, 9 years ago

Cheers for the reply.

Maybe it'd be useful if I gave a bit more background. I'm trying to develop a surveying solution for a client using campaign monitor. I'll set up an external .net site that the campaign email links to.

This .net site will populate a couple of custom fields for each recipient which our client will then be able to export and review.

The problem is that they will want to repeat this process on a daily/weekly basis with differing clients, so will need to set up a new list each time they run the campaign so no duplicate emails are sent. So I was hoping this new list ID would be visible to the initial email so I can insert it into the web link to my application.

Ad

adammoxley, 9 years ago

Actually, another way around this - is it possible in the api to extract a subscriber's list ID if all you've got is their email address?

Stig Stig, 9 years ago

Hi Ad,
I'm not sure I understand entirely - but I don't think creating a new list every time will help you.

I'd probably look at segments to keep subscribers..well...segmented :) And maybe the suppression list to avoid sending to the same address repeatedly.

The API is still pretty limited, but there is a Client.GetLists method, if that helps you any?

Stig

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
Jason Jason, 9 years ago

Hi Guys,

There is no way to include the ListID in the campaign in the way you set out, i.e. using the [] method.

However, we are shortly going to be releasing a GetSingleSubscriber method, which gets a subscribers details including name, email address and custom field data. We haven't spec'd it to return ListID, but do you and anyone else out there think it may be a good idea to return this as well?

bcollins, 8 years ago

Absolutely - returning a ListID would help us with our effort tremendously as well.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098