Side graphics - is this going to be possible

I am wondering how achievable the following side graphics will be (the rough tyre tracks at the edge of the mail) and what's the best approach to handling this:

I was assuming a left and a right column (content in the middle) with the images accordingly. Clearly we don't want to have the repeat too obvious but I'm scratching my head how to approach this using tables where the height of the middle content cells will be variable and hence the left and right columns will need to repeat.

Should these be set as background-images with an y-repeat? How widely supported are background images?

Thanks for looking

Diana Diana, 7 years ago

Hi Tim,

Since the middle content needs to be variable it sounds like background images are the only way you could treat those side images (unless you want to recode each time once the center height is defined). Unfortunately, background images don't offer a great deal of support though, especially in web clients. You can check out our CSS chart to see what's supported where.

D. Potter
Campaign Monitor
rmills, 7 years ago

+1 for Diana's suggestion, background images in the TD with a styled background image as backup for any pesky email clients that don't support normal TD backgrounds but do support styled ones...

Tim Tunbridge, 7 years ago

Thanks for the pointers guys.

fyredefyre fyredefyre, 7 years ago

If you really want to enforce your tyre tracks then I'd suggest creating this as a foreground image and then adding a gradient to 'fade out' into white. That way you can still visualise the image to some extent without it being lost in certain browsers. - Everything Email.
Email: Skype: fyredefyre

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free