PHP: Finding if an email is subscribed

Using the API, I am able to subscribe, resubscribe and unsubscribe successfully, but I can't figure out how check if an email address is active, or unsubscribed.  The end goal, is basically if subscribed, echo a unsubscribe link, if not subscribed echo a subscribe link.

After digging around CMBase it appears that subscribersGetIsSubscribed() is what I need to target.  I've successfully been able to tap into the function and get the proper true/false response when I echo $cm->debug_response.  However, when I apply that into an if/else statement it doesn't work properly.

Example:

$result = $cm->subscribersGetIsSubscribed('test@test.com');
if ($cm->debug_response == "True") { echo "active"; } else { echo "not subscribed";}

I'm sorry if this is a repeat question, but I've searched for both the function name "subscribersGetIsSubscribed" and the class name "Subscribers.GetIsSubscribed" and nothing has popped up.

Joomailer Joomailer, 7 years ago

Hello,

You should use the $result object rather than cm->debug. If you print_r($result); you will see an error code and a description if there is an error.
In this case you missed to pass a ListID with the subscriber.. function.
This should work:

$result = $cm->subscribersGetIsSubscribed( 'test@test.com' , 'ListID' );
print_r($result);
if ($result['anyType'] == "True") { echo "active"; } else { echo "not subscribed";}

Cheers

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joomailer.com - Campaign Monitor Integration for Joomla!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mclindigital.com, 7 years ago

Thank you very much.  In the PHP examples it would always have a commented out print_r for the cm object at the end of the example, so I thought what I was looking for was in there.  It never really made sense to me, but I am somewhat new to OOP, so I figured maybe there just wasn't something I was getting.  Checking the $result variable makes much more sense to me, thanks.

mltsy mltsy, 7 years ago

Here's what I don't understand... what is "anyType" and why isn't it documented anywhere??  Or is it?  I haven't found it in the API docs, in the PHP wrapper docs/comments or anywhere else... what is with this "anyType"?

I had the same problem, and the only way I solved it was by using print_r - like you mentioned - which showed an array with a single, mysterious "anyType" key in it... what does it mean? :)  Could someone document it somewhere?

nathanb, 7 years ago

Hi mclindigital.com.

It seems that you where working on something that I am currently struggling to get working myself.

Its with the API Wrapper and the subscribersGetIsSubscribed tag. I can't seem to get the API to work, I wondered if there was any chance you could show me an example of your 'full code' (excluding any of your own personal API codes, obviously.), so I can possibly see where I am going wrong?

200,000 companies around the world can't be wrong.

From Australia to Zimbabwe, and everywhere in between, companies count on 
Campaign Monitor for email campaigns that drive real business results.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098