Segment by age based on birthday

I need to send a campaign out to 21-34 year olds and I have a custom field in my subscriber list with birthday (1990-01-01).   

How can I accomplish this?  I want to create a segment that is birthday after X date and before Y date.   I'd really prefer not to hardcode an age into the list (since it changes).

RIght now the field is set to text, but if I change it to number will I be able to do this.

sgatz, 6 years ago

any suggestions?

Jerome C., 6 years ago

I need it too, will it be possible in a near future ?

davidaf davidaf, 6 years ago

Hi guys,

I will certainly add your voices as votes for a date field to be added to the segmenting tool. In the meantime, if you really need this you can make it happen, it just means converting the date field to a number field and updating your dates to numbers that you can create segments based off of.

For 18-24 year olds, for example, you could convert the birthday dates to numbers like so:

19891203 - For a birthday of December 3rd, 1989

Your segment would look something like this

18-24 year olds
Birthday is MORE than 19850402
Birthday is LESS than 19920403

Now, I haven't hammered at this to make sure it will be bulletproof - so test it to be sure that it works out.

Unfortunately, this means updating the segment often with a new set of criteria based on today's date.

You can also look at converting your dates into Julian numbers, see which may help be more accurate in targeting your age ranges.

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free