Windows Live Hotmail and margins

I am designing emails using inline styles.  I have found that Outlook 2007 tends to ignore padding styles, so I have switched to using margin styles instead.  In a diabolical Microsoft plot ;), Windows Live Hotmail appears to ignore margin styles, but recognizes padding.  Since my email blasts are mostly business to business, I have chosen to support Outlook 2007 over Hotmail.  Does anyone have a workaround for this problem.

Thanks,

Robert
Digital Arts

Here are some code samples:

Works in Outlook 2007:

<td valign="top" width="350"><p style="margin: 25px 15px 10px 15px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px;">

Works in Hotmail:

<td valign="top" width="350"><p style="padding: 25px 15px 10px 15px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px;">
Dave Dave, 9 years ago

It doesn't get much more frustrating than that does it! My only suggested comprimise would be to use a margin of 12 and a padding of 12 and include both inline. The result will be slightly closer paragraphs in Hotmail and Outlook 2007, and correct spacing in most other email clients.

You might also consider using cellpadding in your table tags to force this padding for the entire cell, which we've found works quite well across the board.

robsedor, 9 years ago

Thanks, Dave.  Since the client is on Outlook 2007, I have to make sure the design renders correctly in that program.  I'll try messing with cell padding, although I just saw another post that said that gmail may have problems with cellspacing.  Aargh...

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098