Customise WYSIWYG for client to allow h2, h3 etc

Generally, our clients aren't that hot with code and it would be useful to have even just a couple of block level styles available to them - say a subtitle or h2, h3 - without them having to get into the HTML. I've read your other comments on keeping the WYSIWYG editor simple but it would definitely help us sell Campaign Monitor to our designer clients who really don't want to get into HTML but have exacting specs in terms of how the email looks - we really can't get them to simplify their designs to the level where they only have one level in the hierarchy of text.

Unless of course I'm missing something and this is already possible?

Dave Dave, 7 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion weesquirt. We try to find the balance between giving your clients enough  flexibility to add their content to your nicely designed templates, but not too much that they can *uglify* the entire email.

Is heading control, or defining a set of pre-defined text styles something that anyone else is interested in? Anything else you think we're missing?

eyoung eyoung, 7 years ago

text alignment, simple things such as left, right and centre align would be really handy. A few clients of ours have read more links they'd like to right align.

drak, 7 years ago

Absolutely interested in it - a drop down list of styles as defined by us and uploaded with the template would be ideal ( expose the styles.xml functionality used by FCKEditor ?? )

mettro, 7 years ago

Hi Guys, there's a few things we here at MeTTro have come across that we think would add some real flexibility to your template system.

The list is as follows:

1. Ability to add multiple images to one repeater
2. Ability to add alternating repeater layout
3. Ability to create a repeater within a repeater
4. Better Image alignment options

Let us know what you think.

Regards,
The Mettro dev team

dunkirk, 7 years ago

Hi:

The ability to upload and position an image is also key.  Currently I am able to do that with manually editing the code, however one client, whom I am trying to switch over from another service, won't specifically for this reason.

I also concur with drak - reviewing the FCKeditor features to see what can be added without giving clients the proverbial bottle of whiskey and car keys!

mp/m

Wayde Christie Wayde Christie, 7 years ago

Howzabout giving us a tool to customise our editor on a per-client basis?

Like this EE add-on: http://brandon-kelly.com/wygwam

Dave Dave, 7 years ago

Thanks for the great feedback so far all.

@eyoung Good call on text align, that's one we're already considering.

@drak Yeah, this is a pretty easy to to give you completely flexibility over what formatting your clients can and cannot get away with. It also adds some complexity to the template building process, but given it's an optional tool for those dishing out more advanced design flexibility, that might not be a problem. Thanks.

@mettro More repeater functionality is definitely something we hear from you guys a lot. While it's not the part of the editor we're discussing here, it's an improvement we're aware of. Image alignment is another good call and something we're looking at.

@dunkirk Is image alignment something you'd like to make optionally available on some images, while you retain control of the position of others? How flexible would you guys need this to be?

@Wayde Christie We do our best to avoid moving functionality like this into a client-level preference center. If we can get away with a solution that suits 80% of customers without the need for granular control, we'll definitely go for that option.

erik, 7 years ago

I wish we were able to add more fields than title, image and description. I often find that I need more fields for a repeater.

It would be nice to be able to provide multiple fixed areas with title, image and description as opposed to a repeater, when for example different sections in the newsletter have different designs.

I know these aren't exactly wysiwyg editor problems, but as others have suggested, being able to define styles for subheaders in the description editor might solve some of these problems.

dunkirk, 7 years ago

Thanks for the reply Dave!

When it comes to images, and thinking more of how I blog as compared to newsletters (namely as I blog more!), there may not be a need for an image, or one would be large enough where alignment is not needed, then again one would be smaller and alignment would be wanted.  Not to mention adding alt/title text, especially for archiving.

Many of my clients use our custom CMS for their Web site, and they have the ability to put whatever they want on a Web page - mostly for better, and occasionally for worse.  We'll advise them when we see something that should be changed.  I would take this same approach for newsletters.

mp/m

Brodie001, 7 years ago

I would agree giving the client some sort of standard hierarchy to work with would give some nice flexibility. I'm all for the align options as well as multiple images per content block, but I would rank additional type styles more important.

You could just give the options for H1,H2,H3,H4, P, and Blockquote. Then allow the designer to use CSS to define these styles.

Thanks,
ThinkCreative Team

Jase, 7 years ago

I'd like to +1 for the ability for clients to add their own h1 - h6. At the moment I just put them all in the <$description default=''> and let my clients remove the ones they don't need - kinda clunky. I can set the styles for these in the CSS, so that's no issue.

enfueggo enfueggo, 7 years ago

I've seen it in another post but I'd like to put my vote in for the ability to put a default image into a static image holder just like we can put default text in titles and descriptions...

Something like <$imagesrc link='true' default='http://www.site.com/header.jpg'$>

Thanks!

fyredefyre fyredefyre, 7 years ago

Good suggestions for the editor.

To keep things simple my idea would to incorporate and 'standard' and 'advanced' section to keep is simple for clients wishing to do standardised changes and the advanced area for more competent clients who are more open to advanced changes.

www.phenom.com.au - Everything Email.
Email: jordan.hunt@phenom.com.au Skype: fyredefyre
Dave Dave, 7 years ago

Thanks for the great editor feedback guys. We've been reading over these responses and other editor feedback and have some nice tweaks currently under consideration. In the shorter term these will be WYSIWYG tweaks such as alignment control and possibly to set heading, quote, etc styles.

Default images and image alignment are also high on our list, and we've got some other nice improvements on the way. Thanks for the great feedback, please keep it coming.

moboho, 7 years ago

@Dave  -  When do you think we'll see these functions being implemented or taken "live"?  I have a client on the sidelines who needs the "image" upload and align functionality.

Dave Dave, 7 years ago

We'll be working some improvements into our next big release, but right now I can't give you any indication of when that will be sorry. It all comes down to how long it takes to wrap up the remaining features we're adding and go through our testing process.

mikechampa, 7 years ago

I would put in my 2 cents for at least allowing the client to select H1-H6 as a minimum would be wonderful. Showing pre-defined classes would be a nice alternative. More freedom in defining content inside the html area would be the ultimate solution, since our clients using sites we create for them in WordPress or Drupal (or a simple setup of FCKEditor in general) begin to expect this level of customization.

sumogray, 7 years ago

Looking forward to imagesrc defaults!

Leon Leon, 6 years ago

Also needing this feature desperately. Would love to know if you're planning on including it in your next big release. otherwise please add my +1 vote for this feature.

Tommy, 6 years ago

+ 1 vote for h2, h3 etc. + text alignment.
I wrote for text alignment almost 6 month ago, but it was not included in the last update :-(

emilbabin, 6 years ago

I'm definitely good for a +1 for h1 - h6 selector too.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098