Hi 1st time sending on CM and just ran my 1st spam test.
First time i looked at my score i got 100% so was pretty happy, clicked back to my screenshots and then back to my spam score to check for any warnings and i now had 83% and had failed on 2 mail boxes, not so happy.
Anyone know if this is a system blip or which score i should follow? If my scores 83% i'll make changes but don't want to look for errors and rerun the check if all is well.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
I have this same question - the spam scores seem to change on refresh and/or with a few minutes between checking. Any help/advice/reason would be greatly appreciated.
I have the same problem myself - pretty consistently actually. Help!!!
I've seen this as well (to the point where I don't use the service anymore)... Hitting refresh showing different results each time.
As you may know, we use two different services to generate these results (see http://www.campaignmonitor.com/blog/post/2723/design-and-spam-testing-just-got-twice-as-useful/ for the details).
The trouble with spam filters is that they are not exactly the same - once they are installed they can operate independently and "learn", or be configured differently.
So on some occasions, the same spam filter shows different results between the two services we check. We try to show the first result that comes back. So if you see it change, it is because you were looking at the result from one service, and then the next time, from the other service.
The reality of spam filter testing is that it can only ever be a guide, because your subscribers aren't going to be using the exact installation our testing service (or any service) is using. So if you are just seeing rare failures, or intermittent, you probably don't have to worry.
If you see lots of fails, it is a more serious indication. What you can't do is take the 'pass' or 'fail' as an absolute certainty that it will happen for all your subscribers that way too.
Frustrating, but that is what we all need to deal with.