Is it time for sub-clients?

I came across an annoyance the other day using the CM system, which i will explain.

We have been in a situation for a while, where we work for several PR companies.

They use us to design their clients (and their own) emails. Some are template driven, some are bespoke.

Initially (before i joined), the PR companies were seperate clients within our client list in CM, and in turn their own clients where all bundled up together under them.

This was stupid, as i figured that a typical PR company could have clients that are very very similar and potentially send to the same people on occassion, so for example - PR's client 1 sends an email to 1000 people and 50 unsubscribe. PR's client 2 sends an email to 1000 people some of whom were on client 1's list... there is the risk that they may be unsubscribed as they are part of the overall PR company's suppression list.

I now break down the PR company's clients, and treat them as a seperate client. Ruling out any cross-unsubcription... this was logical, and painless.

One of the problems i now have, is that weirdly i am running out of logical usernames to use.... the CM system only allows the use of any username once, and for the clients sake... we keep usernames relatively straight forward, like firstname.surname etc... in a small PR company with more clients than staff, we run into problems. Yes i could make up nonsensical usernames... but to be user-friendly we want to keep that element simple.

I appreciate the security issue associated with this, especially in light of recent events, but as long as there are strong passwords to back the usernames up, shouldnt be a problem.

So... firstly can i suggest that we can use the same username/password for multiple clients, if those clients belong to an 'umbrella' company... i.e a PR company.

The alternate and perhaps more appealing solution would be to allow subclients, so when we create a client in CM, if they have clients of their own, those become sub clients.

It would tie up for me at least, and i am sure if you were to run a poll you would find this would be a major step forward...i dont think it would make the process any different, but it would make the multiple client process a hell of a lot easier to manage.

Look forward to other users thoughts and technical feedback.

Richard.Wendon Richard.Wendon, 6 years ago

Im back...

This is still a proper annoyance that you cannot use the same email for multiple "clients"... As mentioned in my original post, we work for several companies (PR / Marketing) that have multiple clients of their own. The companies that we directly work for handle their clients email campaigns and so ask us to build the emails / templates etc.

Lets say a PR company called PR001 has several clients all of which I have been asked to create templates for. To save confusion and potential problems with lists(outlined in original post), I create a new client for each of PR001's clients and label them for example PR001-CLIENT. This is all good... i know that everything i do in there is 100% associated with the end client.

The thing that is still really really bugging me is that when i try and change PR001 client settings so that they can send themselves etc... i need to supply an email address. The problem is i can only use an email address from PR001 once, so if my primary contact is responsible for multiple accounts as they often are... i have get them to make up some BS email address just to give them access or give someone else at PR001 access, this is messy and is getting worse. Whats frustrating is that the problem is based around the success of the system, the better the system gets the more they want to use it.

This is seriously something you guys need to look at, as i really shouldnt need to ask my client to create email accounts to get access.

Look forward to a comment, and hopefully more :)

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free