SURBL and URIBL blocking Campaign Monitor

Campaign Monitor servers are clearly causing campaigns to be sent into quarantine. I paid for a spam/design test and Spam Assassin returned the following warnings:

Contains an URL listed in the SC SURBL blocklist (2.5 pts)
Contains an URL listed in the AB SURBL blocklist (1.6 pts)
Contains an URL listed in the URIBL greylist (0.2 pts)

I have only three domains in the markup generated by Campaign Monitor: my own organization's *whitelisted* domain,, and

Sure enough, returns the following (via is on SURBL lists: AB SC

And returns this (via -- Listed on URIBL grey

PLEASE ADDRESS THIS IMMEDIATELY, as I (and surely most others) cannot successfully deliver our campaigns when every single URL in the message is on a blocklist!

davidaf davidaf, 7 years ago

Hey Tom,

We are already working with the SURBL blocklist to get removed and will continue to do so until we are removed.

The greylist is not a problem: greylists will usually include any known Email Service Provider which allow customers to import subscriber lists, they get listed because the ESP has no control over the opt-in methods of those lists. Servers generally don't use greylists because they return too many false positives.

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks
Dave Dave, 7 years ago

Hi Tom,

I just wanted to follow up on this and confirm that we have completed the delisting procedure for the SURBL domain and are awaiting confirmation that it has been removed. I can also confirm that the affected URL has been removed from the application until the issue has been resolved, so no subsequent emails will include that link and be subject to any blocking.

I can also back up what Davida said about the grey list. This doesn't actually cause any deliverability issues at all, and is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Thanks again for getting in touch about this and for providing so much great information.

tgaulkin, 7 years ago

Hi Davida and Dave,

Thank you very much for your response and the quick work delisting from the SURBL record. I'm sending a campaign today and look forward to seeing the improvement reflected in the report.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free