Tracking forwards

I searched all the forum posts and couldn't find anything that answers this question, so I hope I'm not asking something that's been answered a gazillion times over.

It's great that Forward To A Friend produces a list of the folks who chose to forward an email. But is there a reason why a list of forward RECIPIENTS isn't compiled? I'd like to know who got forwarded TO. I can see how there might be privacy-related issues involved there, though, so I was just curious....

Thanks!
--bryan

Mathew Mathew, 9 years ago

You answered your own question Bryan - it is indeed for privacy reasons we don't record the recipients, because those people have not given you permission directly.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
imbwaldo, 9 years ago

Well, go figure. I was actually...right. I love that. :-)

Thanks, Mathew.

--bryan

chrisabad chrisabad, 9 years ago

A client of ours needed to know who the emails were forwarded to. They didn't need to add these people to their mailing list, but they did need to track them. Our client was running a sort of "refer a friend" contest with prize money and all that jazz, so tracking was important. We ended up having to build our own custom tracking on top of CM's to accomplish this. It was a bit of a hack job, and a little complicated, but has been working fine for us so far. If you want the details I'd be happy to share.

Integral Impressions provides innovative Internet marketing products and services. Here are a couple of our projects:

Nourish - Easily convert your blog articles into an automated newsletter.
Outlandish - A flexible platform for managing and deploying landing pages.
sneers, 9 years ago

@chrisabad, could you expand on the "refer a friend" contest.

I've got something similar on my hands. We don't need to track the users that the campaign is forwarded to. But I would like to know how I can oblige users to forward the last campaign to 5 friends on our own hosted form.

Seb

miba, 9 years ago
chrisabad :

A client of ours needed to know who the emails were forwarded to. They didn't need to add these people to their mailing list, but they did need to track them. Our client was running a sort of "refer a friend" contest with prize money and all that jazz, so tracking was important. We ended up having to build our own custom tracking on top of CM's to accomplish this. It was a bit of a hack job, and a little complicated, but has been working fine for us so far. If you want the details I'd be happy to share.

Can you share this with us?

Sorry, I forgot to subscribe to this topic so I had no idea you asked me a question. =/ Sneers emailed me directly and I put together a response for him. Here's my email to him:

Sure. This is assuming you don't care about CM's FTAF tracking (which isn't very helpful) and only want to use it to actually get the emails delivered (which isn't possible via the API). Here's more-or-less the concept:

1. Copy the code from one of CM's generated FTAF pages
2. Add some javascript which grabs your post data and simultaneously sends it to your own tracking application via AJAX (allow the form to also be submitted to the original action on CM's servers).

Some limitations:

1. If someone doesn't fill out the required information, they're kicked over to CM's default form to try again. You lose any visual customization and possibly your custom tracking
2. There's no way to customize the "thank you" page
3. CM dynamically generates a unique ID based on both the recipient and the campaign. Since you can't really re-create this (unless they told you how they did it, and it was a simple hash or something), you pretty much lose the CM tracking for FTAF. Everything looks like its forwarded by the same recipient in CM.

Hopefully that makes sense. Here's a really simple example:

Originating email:
http://emails.integralimpressions.net/CitymarkDevelopment/Aperture/Ap_ReferAfriend_72/broker.html

Custom FTAF form (we pass some information dynamically via the URL):
http://forwardtoafriend.integralimpressions.net/?subject=Aperture%20unveiled%20and%20move-in%20ready&campaign_id=2&cm_action=zkdt/c94d5de2eb09ca4e/

The JS to actually hi-jack the form (uses Prototype and Lowpro libraries):
http://forwardtoafriend.integralimpressions.net/javascripts/hijack_form.js

As far as the custom tracking, we build a very simple database-driven application to record the information, as well as export the information to a spreadsheet later.

That's everything (I think). A bit of a hack, and not perfect... but the best I could come up with given the limitations of CM' system. Works for our needs. Hopefully that helps.

Integral Impressions provides innovative Internet marketing products and services. Here are a couple of our projects:

Sneers, your solution would be much simpler actually, since you don't need the tracking. Just copy one of CM's generated forms and host it somewhere else. Make your customizations, and you're all set. The same limitations as I listed above would apply.

tenfour tenfour, 6 years ago

I realise this thread is a bit old now.... but we have also been asked to do something similar.

Track who has referred a friend, and if that friend has made a purchase on the site, reward the original referrer.

The only way I can think to do it is using a system similar to @chrisabad.
- Create a separate refer a friend page that sends the friends name & email address* to a separate database... as well as sending the email as normal to the friend.
- Use a unique code "XYZ123" for customers to use on their orders (give them an incentive to use this code such as a discount)
- Export all orders with code "XYZ123" at the end of promotion
- Cross-reference purchasers with the database to see who the original referrer was.

If anyone can think of another way to do this that would be most appreciated!

*The australian national privacy principle 1.3 allows you to obtain & store email addresses as long as you inform the referrer of these addresses what they will be used for & that they won't be on-sold, etc. The referred friend will still have to opt-in as usual if you want them to become part of your CM database. It would be great if CM could add this functionality into the "who's referred a friend" stats though to see who was referred.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098