Custom fields in content - possible?

Hi, I've had a search but didn't find anything so hopefully I'm not repeating anything here!

Does CM monitor have the power to generate custom fields on the content?

Example:
Customer 1 has an interest in X
Customer 2 has an interest in X and Y

This then sends out 2 different emails
Hello customer 1, we thought you might like to hear about our new products involving X?
Hello customer 2, we thought you might like to hear about our new products involving X and our existing range involving Y?

Expanding on that Customer 2 could get an entire news article about Y etc.

I'm sure CM can do this but I'm stumped as to how.

davidaf davidaf, 7 years ago

Hey mcotchin,

Campaign Monitor doesn't quite work in the way you've worked out in your scenario. What you can do is personalize a single email based on your custom field/fields, which would then populate the email from your custom field values.

For a quick and dirty example, you could do the following:

Hello [firstname], we thought you might like to hear about our new products involving [product_interest]. <a href="[product_url]">Read about it now</a>.

A custom fields probably wouldn't support an entire article, but you could certainly store different URLs for different articles online that you could point them to, as well, as I did in my example above. Make sense?

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks
mcotchin, 7 years ago

Hi, thanks for your answer, it makes sense.

I guess what I was trying to get across was the comments Gavin and Justin stated in the comments on your link with the if/else statements.

If David Greiner is still taking votes you can add me on the list please!

Stig Stig, 7 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, we've added your vote for this feature.

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
florian.nagel florian.nagel, 5 years ago

Is there anything new about the if/else feature?
We need this feature for two of our clients sending personalized emails with different item/content blocks.

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 5 years ago

Hi Florian, it's not something we're planning to release in the near future, I'm sorry to say. At the present, we're still recording votes internally, however we'll certainly keep you posted if we pop it into an upcoming update.

The closest thing I'd suggest for now is to create two or more segments based on your custom fields, then send different versions of your campaign to the segments accordingly. If you're planning to do this regularly, then monthly pricing may help you keep the cost down (as you won't need to pay the $5 each send).

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098