Occasional 404s on API calls?

Hi folks,

I'm using the PHP cmBase.php API wrapper.  Last week I started seeing some XML errors returned to xml2array() and emailed to me by cron.  When I expanded the error reporting to send me the bad chunk of XML I found that it was in fact a 404.

<title>404 Not Found</title>
<h1>Not Found</h1>
<p>The requested URL /api/api.asmx/List.GetCustomFields was not found on this server.</p> <hr>
<address>Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat) Server at api.createsend.com Port 80</address> </body></html>

As you can see the URL that fails is correct and can be successfully accessed via a browser right now.

Works just fine.  Anyone else seeing this? Any funny business with the DNS?  Something?

Thanks for any advice!

David Martin

jerrygarciuh, 7 years ago

New error occurred once last night: 

System.Exception: Sorry, but we've run into a problem. Please try again or contact support
   at Pronto.API.ExceptionHandlers.TryThis[T](WebService service, Func`1 body)
   at Pronto.api.api.GetSubscribersList(String ApiKey, String ListID, String Date, String type)
   at Pronto.api.api.GetUnsubscribed(String ApiKey, String ListID, String Date)

jerrygarciuh, 7 years ago

This 404 is still occurring at least 5 times a day.

PeteNZ, 7 years ago

I am receiving 404 errors from every API call at the moment.
Fortunately this is only in-house and is not occurring on the live websites.

What are the troubleshooting steps for this? Common causes?

davidh, 6 years ago

The 404 error you posted does not make a lot of sense because we do not use Apache or Red Hat :-) It looks like something is getting directed to the wrong place somewhere but it is hard to say why.

Could you please send a complete request/response to support@campaignmonitor.com with a link to this topic? Then we will be able to check the IP address against all of our servers and maybe make some progress.

PeteNZ if you are getting the error every time from one environment only there is a good chance it is a firewall issue, we have seen this before. You would expect a different error but some firewalls seem to use 404 for some reason.

PeteNZ, 6 years ago

Thanks Dave - I suspected as much and will ask the IT people again if they have made changes!

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free