why do img tags have space in IE emai and no margins in Gmail client?

In my email design template here, you'll see the folded corner bars at the bottom (in blue and orange). When viewing the email in gmail in IE7, they have space b/w them and the actual bulleted list of content beneath it. What do I do to ensure there is no spacing?

Along similar lines, in gmail in Firefox, the social media icons in the sidebar have no margin or padding in them even though I specified them in the stylesheet. Is the best way to specify them inline as opposed to the stylsheet?

BThies BThies, 7 years ago

Some of your question is answered in the other post, but my golden rule is to always code everything inline.  No surprises come test time.

For the gmail issue, make sure all of your images have style="display:block" to prevent breaks.  If the image is aligned next to text or another image, you can use style="display:inline".

You can recreate the padding/margins you want using nested tables as well as <div>'s.

Once your design is complete, I can take a look at it and make adjustments.

Brian Thies
Professional Email Developer
Thies Publishing
hdean, 7 years ago

Thanks. I figured it out as well and guessed that putting display:block would get rid of the spacing.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098