Considering integrating Campaign Monitor, but have questions

I am reviewing a number of email providers to integrate into our SaaS application. I like the Campaign Monitor product and API, but two things are of concern:

1. There is no batch-like API to load multiple customers into a list. Our product does sophisticated segmentation prior to doing outbound communications, using things like many-to-many relationships in our system, therefore it seems that I will need to create a new list for each campaign. I am worried about making 1 by 1 calls to add 1000 or more customers to a list.

2. Campaign Monitor does not seem very responsive to developer questions on this forum. Many questions go unanswered for long periods, if at all. So this makes me wonder what will happen if we get stuck.

Can someone comment on the above please.

JSJ

Blake, 6 years ago
JSJ :

There is no batch-like API to load multiple customers into a list. Our product does sophisticated segmentation prior to doing outbound communications, using things like many-to-many relationships in our system, therefore it seems that I will need to create a new list for each campaign. I am worried about making 1 by 1 calls to add 1000 or more customers to a list.

Hi JSJ,

We don’t have a batch add method at the moment, so adding 1000+ subscribers at once isn’t really what the current methods were designed for. They should handle it without too many problems but obviously it’s not ideal from a performance perspective. Ideally to add such large lists you’d add them through the interface, but that may not be ideal for what you’re doing.

We’re looking at ways to add a batch import method but for the moment you’d either need to use the interface or do unique calls for each subscriber.

JSJ :

Campaign Monitor does not seem very responsive to developer questions on this forum. Many questions go unanswered for long periods, if at all. So this makes me wonder what will happen if we get stuck.

We’re very active with email support, but we know we have some work to do to get better in the forums and we’re doing our best to be more responsive in this area. We’re definitely making more of an effort here as we know it hasn’t been good enough.

If you have any more questions please let us know.

JSJ, 6 years ago

Blake, thanks for that information.

I posted an additional question under the topic "Templates: access from API ?", a reply there would be very helpful. I know templates are not directly usable from the API, my question concerns what can be included in the HTML message content to support mail merge and the like.

And a last question, I am a little unclear what happens when email campaigns target 5 users or less. It seems this size campaign does not trigger the $5 campaign fee. So, a) Can you create and send campaigns to less than 5 emails via the API and b) Are any fees/cost triggered by such calls.

Thank you
JSJ

Blake, 6 years ago
JSJ :

Can you create and send campaigns to less than 5 emails via the API and are any fees/cost triggered by such calls.

You can create campaigns to send to fewer than 5 recipients through the API and there are no costs triggered, however we limit the number of free campaigns that you can send via the API. Once you exceed that limit you won't be able to send further free campaigns (i.e. campaigns to 5 or fewer recipients).

JSJ, 6 years ago

Blake, to be clear, can you clarify something in your response:

1. After XX number of allowed free campaigns to less than 5 recipients, you can no longer send campaigns to less than 5 recipients, or

2. After XX number of allowed free campaigns to less than 5 recipients, further campaigns to less than 5 recipients will incur normal charges'

Basically, once the free campaign limit is reached, is sending a campaign to less than 5 recipients considered valid and charged normally or are you for some reason prohibited from sending small campaigns.

As we will have no control over how many recipients our clients to choose to include in a message I hope the answer is #2.

Thanks
JSJ

Blake, 6 years ago

I'm afraid the answer to this is #1, once you pass the threshold you can no longer send to 5 or fewer recipients. Normally these free campaigns are simply used for testing the API, we find it is quite rare that customers want to send to less than 5 recipients.

We do understand that's not ideal for all situations, and we'll take your feedback on board for the future. Right now though, you'd just need to keep that in mind when building your integration.

modernactivity, 5 years ago

what is the total number of campaigns with less than 5 recipients one can send?

we're developing a script with the API from our cms so we can send one-off html showreels to probably one person. We may be doing 15 individual emails a day so we need to know if we can keep on using CM.

hope to hear from you soon, Dan.

Join 150,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098