Limits on use of title, description, imagesrc, repeater tags

I've been working an a template design that I feel like pushes the boundaries of email design (in a good way), and I'm running into lots of confusing issues when trying to make the design into a reusable template.

The online documentation seems to be very unclear about exactly how and when $title, $description, and $imagesrc tags can be used without problems, including their relationship to repeater tags.

For instance, I know from browsing these forums that a repeater can only include one $imagesrc tag, but it also seems like a repeater can not include more than one $title or $description. Is this accurate?

And what about $title and $description outside of a repeater tag? It seems like if I try to include more than one $title or $description outside of a repeater it causes problems. I'm not sure why this should be the case. If their weren't so many restrictions on the use of these tags they could be used for a lot of creative purposes, and make creating new newsletters using templates a lot easier.

Please provide some clarification on the limits of these tags. I really don't have to edit each new newsletter of ours as source code in order to customize it, but it looks like I'll have to given the limits of the template system right now.

Mathew Mathew, 6 years ago

Inside a repeater, you can only have one image, one title and one description. Outside of a repeater you can have as many individual editable elements as you like though.

There should not be any problems with that, we've got plenty of people with tons of editable spots, so please contact support if you run into issues so we can take a look for you.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
fyredefyre fyredefyre, 6 years ago

Would be nice to be able to have more as sometimes having one is not enough. Here's an example:

1) Title Heading
2) Description Copy (story text)
3) Image
4) Image Description Copy (caption text)

Having the exta <description> for the caption text (4) will not be allowed. Obviously a image description could apply, but this could only sit in the image itself. - Everything Email.
Email: Skype: fyredefyre
Mathew Mathew, 6 years ago

We can definitely see how it would be helpful, it's just always a balance of complexity and ease of us / stability. We'll take your feedback on board.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free