SPF authentication and userlist

I have three unrelated questions.

1.  When you fill out the domain authenticate wizard to create the SPF records, will emails be authenticated only when sending mail via Campaign Monitor's servers, or will sending from that address from say, Outlook Express using my own server be authenticated as well?

2.  I can't get my mind around keeping this list in synch with a forum membership.  Since this membership is constantly be added through through the forum interface, I would assume that I would do an upload each time to include new members.

When this import is performed, what happens to the existing records?  If john doe sent an usubscribe message the last time a campaign went out, would his "leave me alone" flag remain, or would the new upload overwrite everything?

3.  I see that you have a lot of html templates, and there is much discussion about them.  I've heard that html emails tend to arouse more suspicion with the spam blocking.   If the text of two emails were identical, and one was text only and the other html, would the text be more likely to get through?

Thanks,
DC

Dave Dave, 9 years ago

Hey DC,

When you fill out the domain authenticate wizard to create the SPF records, will emails be authenticated only when sending mail via Campaign Monitor's servers, or will sending from that address from say, Outlook Express using my own server be authenticated as well?

This really depends on how you've set up email at your end, but in most cases yes, you'll already be covered by default. To ensure this, you can always use this wizard to make sure you cover all servers you send mail from.

2.  I can't get my mind around keeping this list in synch with a forum membership.  Since this membership is constantly be added through through the forum interface, I would assume that I would do an upload each time to include new members.

When this import is performed, what happens to the existing records?  If john doe sent an usubscribe message the last time a campaign went out, would his "leave me alone" flag remain, or would the new upload overwrite everything?

We remember all unsubscribes and bounces for you, and also ensure there are never any duplicates in your list. The real concern here would be to ensure you have correct permission off your forum members to keep in touch. Make sure it's crystal clear during the registration process that if they register you will be sending them email. If possible, I'd separate this out as an unchecked option they can opt-in to if they want to receive emails from you.

3.  I see that you have a lot of html templates, and there is much discussion about them.  I've heard that html emails tend to arouse more suspicion with the spam blocking. If the text of two emails were identical, and one was text only and the other html, would the text be more likely to get through?

HTML emails won't cause your emails to be blocked by default. It's not the format, it's how you get permission and the content you're sending that's important. Provided you capture permssion consistent with our anti-spam policies and send interesting, relevant content, you shouldn't have problem with spam filters.

doubleclick, 8 years ago

Hello -

Back with a couple more questions about this.

Regarding the wizard - I really got confused by all the jargon and acronyms.  ptr, mx, a: , etc.  Pretty embarrassing to admin getting lost in a wizard, but I did.

1.  The only servers I send mail from are yours and mydomain.com.  Can I just paste that into your wizard's results somewhere?

2. The wizard you linked to is only for the SPF record.  What about the other two?  Sender Key and Sender ID.

It's nice being recogized as me when sending mail through your system, but I sure want to be recognized as me when sending from my own servers as well!

About replies:
When a campaign goes out through you and a user replies, where does it go?  I had a test user in the mailing list, and replied to the mailing.  The reply never arrived.  Is there some setting I need to change to receive replies?

Thanks for your help in both of these matters.  I'm looking forward to getting past this initial setup and the accompanying confusion to a new set of concepts.

Dave Dave, 8 years ago

Hey DC,

I know the whole authentication thing can get confusing at times (I've been there myself).

1. As long as you only send from those 2 servers, go ahead an add the record we supplied to your DNS, it will automatically cover you in both cases.

2. This is where it gets confusing. Sender ID is actually very similar to an SPF record, especially in the syntax. All you need to know is that Sender ID looks at the "from domain" you use when creating your email campaigns, where as SPF looks at the return-path (where bounces are sent. this already points to our servers, and have have an SPF record set up in our DNS to cover you for it.

In regards to replies, they will be sent to whatever address you specify in the Return-to field when creating your campaign. That test issue does sound weird, and if it keeps popping up check with our support team.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098