Is this possible?

It's the time of year for sending xmas eCards again. We're sending out personalised ones which include a line that will say 'to [fullname,fallback=]' , (fullname coming from the database), without a really obvious fallback term to use we decided that if the database has no name we'd omit the whole line altogether. Is this possible? or can you use another variable such as email as the fallback?

Diana Diana, 7 years ago

Hi neonWired, you'd need to have something in there, otherwise it would be to , which looks a bit odd. In those situations you could look at doing that entire first line as your personalization (rather than using the fullname tag) so it'll say to fullname or something else if a name wasn't present (or nothing), etc. Takes a bit more work creating the new custom field with your text and names but you can control the display a bit better. Might be what you were thinking of already.

~*~~*~~*~~*~
D. Potter
Campaign Monitor
neonWired, 7 years ago
Diana :

Hi neonWired, you'd need to have something in there, otherwise it would be to , which looks a bit odd. In those situations you could look at doing that entire first line as your personalization (rather than using the fullname tag) so it'll say to fullname or something else if a name wasn't present (or nothing), etc. Takes a bit more work creating the new custom field with your text and names but you can control the display a bit better. Might be what you were thinking of already.

It did occur to me if i'm understanding it correctly, you're suggesting creating a new field with 'to' included in it? I'm just not sure if there's an easy way to achieve that.

fyredefyre fyredefyre, 6 years ago

Alternatively could also split your list into two with personalised version and a generic version. The only downside to this is seperate reporting, but then again you may find these results interesting with the skew of results.

www.phenom.com.au - Everything Email.
Email: jordan.hunt@phenom.com.au Skype: fyredefyre

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098